Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I sold my MBA on Craig's List and bought the 13" MBP. I LOVED my Air, but when the new MBPs came out my biggest complaint about the uMB (the crappy display) was answered, and they sweetened the deal with the battery. Also, over the last several months I've found myself needing more and more performance.

I travel for work so I know I'll hate lugging around the extra 1.5 lbs., but it hit me that all that extra battery life is more useful when traveling than the lower weight.

The main thing I can say about this thing is it's not as sexy as the Air. I really like the black bezel, but the computer as a whole, while still better looking than just about anything else, just doesn't quite have the appeal of the Air. I'm going to miss pulling that thing out of my bag and repeatedly thinking to myself how awesome it is.

It's been fun being in this little club... I'm sure I'll come back to visit.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Which MBA did you have and how much did you get for it?

I had the REV B 1.6 with HDD. I got $1000. I felt like it was a little low because it has Apple Care, Super Drive, etc., but I realize that accessories don't add a lot of value.

I was less concerned with the $ amount than having a huge net cost for the new one. With the iPod education program I'm looking at a net cost of about $400 for the 2.53... not bad; I only paid $1150 out the door for the MBA anyway.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
If I were you, I would have kept the MBA and bought a MBP or a MB if the money was an issue.

It is better to keep the MBA for travel rather than the $1000, but that is me :D

Congrats on your purchase :)

macboy4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
If I were you, I would have kept the MBA and bought a MBP or a MB if the money was an issue.

It is better to keep the MBA for travel rather than the $1000, but that is me :D

Congrats on your purchase :)

I hear you, but I just don't need two computers... I don't think my wife would've gone for that!

macboy4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 200

JasG

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2009
I carry my Air for hours a day, every day. I am probably older than most of you, if not all. I do not scoff at 1.5 pounds, and some day neither will you.

But besides the weight there is little question. My son just bought a 13 MBP. They are magnificent machines.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I carry my Air for hours a day, every day. I am probably older than most of you, if not all. I do not scoff at 1.5 pounds, and some day neither will you.

But besides the weight there is little question. My son just bought a 13 MBP. They are magnificent machines.

Like I said, the weight is important to me, but I decided that the extra battery life was more important. If the Air had the battery life of the MBP I'm not sure I would have switched.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Like I said, the weight is important to me, but I decided that the extra battery life was more important. If the Air had the battery life of the MBP I'm not sure I would have switched.

funny you say that....

i have a 13" mbp and a air and i have brought them both through my "work week" and found the air provided more life in the day then the pro.

i would average 5 hours on the air and 4-4.5 on the pro.

only way i can squeeze 6 hours out of the pro is when the brightness is down so far its unusable and the bluetooth off.

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
The allure of the MBA will grow as the days pass...

Did the exact same thing when the unibody MBs hit. Granted, the first version had a much different screen, but after about three months, I started missing the size and comfort of the MBA.

When the Rev Bs hit, I managed to avoid the temptation to switch back for a couple of months... but the little voice in my head which tells me of a better way through this maze called life kept suggesting that my computing existence would be better served by switching back to the MBA.

Since getting the Rev B w/SSD, that little voice has been very very quiet. I've been traveling a fair amount over the last four months and it is such a pleasure to take along the MBA. For the work I do, it's just a perfect machine.

Here's hoping there is peace in your head with your new machine but should you come back, this MBA user will understand completely.

maroulis

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
I've had Rev A / HD then Rev C/SSD and even though the improvements were phenomenal it would still overheat and most of all feel fragile (the hinges I could tell have not been upgraded and I had busted hinges on my Rev A)..

I am not happily using MBP 13" which I recently upgraded to Intel X25-M SSD 160GB and couldn't be happier.. Battery is BIG improvement, speed is phenomenal and the weight difference I'm simply used to..

My g/f is now using the Rev C and she loves it....

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I don't understand who would be happy going from a rev B/C MBA with SSD to a 13" MBP???

In my experience, in the long run, one would really want to migrate back to an MBA.

I couldn't go to anything from the MBA, it's too fun, amazing, lightweight, powerful, and capable.

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
I don't understand who would be happy going from a rev B/C MBA with SSD to a 13" MBP???

In my experience, in the long run, one would really want to migrate back to an MBA.

I couldn't go to anything from the MBA, it's too fun, amazing, lightweight, powerful, and capable.

I've been reading countless threads in here due to my pending purchase of a MBA, and you REALLY REALLY and I mean REALLY love your MBA don't you? :p

maroulis

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006

speed, not overheating, screen, speaker, glass trackpad and solid hinges.. do you want more? If MBA Rev D had all of the above I'd gladly switch back.. I don't use more than 1 USB port and can't even recall the last time I used a CD/DVD media...

macboy4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009

First, I didn't have the SSD.

Second, one "word": RAM. My needs have changed since I bought my MBA and I'm doing a lot more virtualization at work. I know how fast the reads are on the SSD, but that's a poor substitute for what I need: power and RAM.

I truly loved my MBA, but my needs changed. Will I miss it? Absolutely. Did I make the overall "right" decision? Absolutely.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Okay so I LOVE this MBP 13", but the battery life is a funny thing. It's much better, but I have to keep the brightness higher because of this stupid glass!! I love the aesthetic, but any light gives you a nice glare.

marcovortex

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
I purchased a 13" MBP 2.26 and actually returned it to get a MBA 2.13 Both are great computers imho but if I'm going to have the same 9400m GPU similar cpu I figured I may as well have the lighter smaller package. With the SSD the MBA actually seems faster to me. I love this MBA were as I only really liked my 13" MBP. Just my 2 cents..

dhc921

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
I purchased a 13" MBP 2.26 and actually returned it to get a MBA 2.13 Both are great computers imho but if I'm going to have the same 9400m GPU similar cpu I figured I may as well have the lighter smaller package. With the SSD the MBA actually seems faster to me. I love this MBA were as I only really liked my 13" MBP. Just my 2 cents..

I also returned MBP 13" and got MBA with SSD and never look back. While MBP has better hardware and feels more solid, MBA's size and weight is just perfect. Speed-wise, I feel the same between the two. RAM could be a potential problem but I have never ran into yet. Most of the time I just used about 50-60% of the 2G RAM (email, web-browsing...etc).

DC

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I fought with myself for months whether to go MacBook 13" or MacBook Air.

I decided to go MBA because of the thinness of it and weight. Then I got a 17" macbook pro and realized that the MBA's screen is non-glossy and it makes a huge difference.

7 Hour battery life isn't important on the MBA.
optical drive I never use
Firewire or optical in, nah.
dedicated GPU, nope don't need that either.

2.5Ghz CPU would be nice but 2.13 w/ the SSD makes this machine faster (sometimes) than my 3.06Ghz 17" Macbook Pro w/o SSD. Honestly, launching apps can be faster on the MBA.

so between MBP & MBA, i think MBA is just better (if you can afford it). You lose a few features but they're not killer features and in return you get a notebook that's ultra thin and super portable.

I just wish the ports were more accessible. I've had bad luck with peripherals not fitting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.