Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Crap, maybe Xbox 360 should of came with HD-DVD if the game doea not fit on a disc, because if Halo doesn't I'm sure others down the track won't. Apart from that looks like Halo will be truly epic :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I like the split single and multiplayer modes. Hopefully it'll give Bungie some direction in making the single player good this time round. I'm actually really for that, rather than splitting up single player onto mutliplayer discs.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I'm just very surprised at having 2 discs. I was thinking it would happen with some of the bigger RPG's and such but an FPS? Maybe Halo 3 is in 4D or something? ;)

But MS hasn't confirmed why or anything yet so who knows. Sony is gonna get in some jabs at it though.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I don't really care if it is on two disks, like most everyone else, I don't care about the single player, I just wanna play on live :cool:

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
I am in the minority of actually enjoying the story so I hope this means the Single Player at the very least is expansive.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I like the split single and multiplayer modes. Hopefully it'll give Bungie some direction in making the single player good this time round. I'm actually really for that, rather than splitting up single player onto mutliplayer discs.

That seems weird. It would just result in duplications of assets; textures used in maps in both single and multiplayer games would have to exist on both disks, as would models.

The actual single- and multiplayer executables are tiny, respectively. For Elite Force, for example (a game based on the Quake 3 engine), the game is 700 MB, and the separate single and multiplayer executables are only a couple MB each.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12531

nm, looks like "Game Disc 2" is an 'interactive" Xbox 360 disc.

"The Collector’s Edition picture erroneously shows that it ships with a Bonus Content disc and a Game Two disc. Incorrect. It’s a mistake at MS’ end and we’re updating retailers with the correct image. The “Game Disc 2” shown in the art actually refers to an interactive Bonus Content disc. It’s an Xbox “executable” (think of it like a menu-driven disc, similar to the Official Xbox Magazine cover disc) and internally, has always been referred to as “Game Disc 2” because it has to go through the same certification process as Halo 3 itself. That was somehow communicated to MS retail marketing verbatim. Hence the error. No big deal.

The Legendary Edition comes with two extra discs. The “executable” interactive disc listed above, and a Bonus Content DVD – the one pictured incorrectly with the Collector’s Edition. Confused? No wonder.

The upside of that is the “Game Disc 2” itself. Because it’s an Xbox 360 disc and not a DVD, almost all of the content it contains is in hi-def (if your TV supports it). And some of the content is pretty spectacular. Now to clarify: Both premium editions, Collector’s and Legendary, come with the interactive disc. Only Legendary comes with the DVD."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.