Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddjc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Hi guys,

I've got the universal binary of Halo from Macsoft, but it runs terribly on my 17" macbook pro - I can just about get it smooth on (I think) 640x480 resolution - appalling for my high spec machine with 256MB radeon card! Anybody had this problem?

Cheers
Edd:)

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
Launch Halo from the Finder and hold down the command key (or is it option? one of them) and a window should pop up. Take a screen shot and post it here.

Also, do you have a lot of apps running in the background?

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
The Mac port of Halo, especially the UB, just has terrible performance. It's inexcusable given how old it is and the quality of the graphics.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
How old is Halo now?

As old as the Xbox, 5 years.

Given the PC and Mac versions were the same as the Xbox version, yeah its 5 years.

Say what you will but I think Halo is at best a mediocre FPS, during this gen (2000 to 2007 lets say) most FPSs I've played on my computer were more fun than Halo, heck I had more fun with TimeSplitters 2 than with Halo and that was for PS2.

It is really a shame considering how good Marathon was and how much references Halo makes to Marathon. Halo might be the spiritual succesor to Marathon but then you realized Marathon did everything better when it was released and even the story puts Halo to shame.

But enough about my Halo rant... to answer your question, Halo is a poorly coded game for the PC, let alone for the mac.

eddjc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
wow! I think I hit a nerve:) looks like it's just a bad port. How sucky! I think Halo's great on the Xbox - Bungie seem to have at least carried on their brilliant narrative style - the best thing I felt about Marathon was the crazy far-reaching plots about massive AI computers and Halo seems to have all that:) (except animated rather than read on little screens). Ho hum...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.