Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Somehow I let this slip by when it first aired, today caught S1:E1 on an airliner, and it was excellent, although the sound quality (by virtue of being on a plane) sucked, so I’ve got this queued until we get home. Hard hitting action, combatants (Spartans and Covenant) with personal shield protection, most others seem like fodder.

Of note I’m a huge Halo fan from its XBox days. This was Bungie’s follow on FPS shooter game to Marathon, a huge Mac FPS that beat the snot out of Id’s Doom. :D

The Master Chief (Spartans) and Covenant were just like I remember them although the Covenant (aggressive aliens) seem more bulked up. And blame it on me, I don’t remember that Spartans were bio-enhanced? Also waiting to see if Cortana, MasterChief’s AI equivalent of a love interest appears in this story.

IMG_3177.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The Halo series is an alternative timeline from the games and one part of the reason I have a subscription to Paramount Plus (Star Trek shows being another).

As you watch, you may find that you are remembering things differently from what is on screen. I will not spoil anything for you. It's a good series, but is it's own canon. I will say one thing though, Kate Kennedy as Kai-125 is the standout.

PS. The Spartans were abducted around 6 years of age and replaced with flash clones that died about a month or so later. They underwent operations to enhance their bodies in their early teens. Most did not survive the surgeries, or if they did had other complications that prevented them from being Spartans.

The modifications are necessary to use/control the MJOLNIR armor. Without those enhancements, the normal human body cannot control the armor and you effectively end up killing yourself. Each suit of armor is custom fitted to the individual Spartan (and costs about as much as a star ship).

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Halo series is an alternative timeline from the games and one part of the reason I have a subscription to Paramount Plus (Star Trek shows being another).

As you watch, you may find that you are remembering things differently from what is on screen. I will not spoil anything for you. It's a good series, but is it's own canon. I will say one thing though, Kate Kennedy as Kai-125 is the standout.

PS. The Spartans were abducted around 6 years of age and replaced with flash clones that died about a month or so later. They underwent operations to enhance their bodies in their early teens. Most did not survive the surgeries, or if they did had other complications that prevented them from being Spartans.

The modifications are necessary to use/control the MJOLNIR armor. Without those enhancements, the normal human body cannot control the armor and you effectively end up killing yourself. Each suit of armor is custom fitted to the individual Spartan (and costs about as much as a star ship).
Thank you, I had no clue, just played as the Master Chief thinking I was a bad ass by virtue of my manlyness, fast moves, and shielded armor. 🙂

As far as canon, Spartans vs Covenant is the most important aspect in my mind, I would not expect it to follow the game’s story, although that would be good if it could be accomplished. 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.