Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

On which wrist do you wear your Apple Watch?

• Right-handed and wear on my Right

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Left-handed and wear on my Left

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Right-handed and wear on my Left

Votes: 38 51.4%
  • Left-handed and wear on my Right

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • I double-wrist or change wrists

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
I assume I am in the minority of folks that wear their Apple Watch on their dominant hand, but felt like posting a poll to get better numbers.

I'm right-handed and have always worn a watch on my right wrist. I think this partially stems from my father being left handed. I was also quite ambidextrous in my youth and could play almost any sport from either direction. (Golf, baseball, football/soccer). I still shoot pool left-handed, am "left-footed" in football/soccer(mostly due to an injury) and use my left versus right hand for a lot of things.

However, I could not write left-handed to save my life so there are limits.

Anyone else wear their watch on their dominant hand?

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Ambidextrous and wear my Apple Watch on my left hand. (since you were ambidextrous in your youth, I'm surprised you didn't include it in the poll)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't own an AW, but if I did then it'd be on my left wrist (I'm right-handed), like all my other watches.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
I assume I am in the minority of folks that wear their Apple Watch on their dominant hand, but felt like posting a poll to get better numbers.

I'm right-handed and have always worn a watch on my right wrist. I think this partially stems from my father being left handed. I was also quite ambidextrous in my youth and could play almost any sport from either direction. (Golf, baseball, football/soccer). I still shoot pool left-handed, am "left-footed" in football/soccer(mostly due to an injury) and use my left versus right hand for a lot of things.

However, I could not write left-handed to save my life so there are limits.

Anyone else wear their watch on their dominant hand?
Interesting question, bud.

I used to think that I ate left handed (being a lefty) but apparently that's not true.

I have my fork in my left hand, and knife in my right hand. Used to think that this was as per my dominant hand.

I listen to a blinding podcast, called Jame’s O'Brien’s Mystery Hour, and this question came up. Basically, right handed eating is performed as per I eat. The reason: Before we (the human race) developed forks, we used to "spear" our food with a blade, which was (as per right handededness) the "correct" way. We would spear the food, then eat it off of the knife.

Then, as time progressed, we developed forks. And the right hand continued to hold the knife.

Alas, I've been eating right handed, all of my life, even though I'm left handed.

Hope this little piece of knowledge intrigued some of our fellow members.

Wishing you well, bud.

Last edited:

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I am left handed and wear it on the left. Just what I am used to. I tried to wear in on the right one some time, but I would end up smashing it everyhwere.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
I am left handed and wear it on the left. Just what I am used to. I tried to wear in on the right one some time, but I would end up smashing it everyhwere.
Same.

My mind to hand connection is much more in tuned to my left hand.

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Same.

My mind to hand connection is much more in tuned to my left hand.
If that's true, it would suggest you'd be happier with the watch on your right wrist. That way the side with the superior "mind to hand connection" (left) would be the one twiddling and pushing the crown, swiping and tapping the watch face and pushing the side button. The hand with the watch on it only has one job, to bring the watch into viewing position when you want to use it, a task that requires far less dexterity.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
If that's true, it would suggest you'd be happier with the watch on your right wrist. That way the side with the superior "mind to hand connection" (left) would be the one twiddling and pushing the crown, swiping and tapping the watch face and pushing the side button. The hand with the watch on it only has one job, to bring the watch into viewing position when you want to use it, a task that requires far less dexterity.
That's not how my brain works. I'm lifting my arm dozens of times throughout the day to look at my watch and that greatly outnumbers the number of times I actually touch it. My dominant arm feels like the one for that task.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK

I used to think that I ate left handed (being a lefty) but apparently that's not true.

I have my fork in my left hand, and knife in my right hand. Used to think that this was as per my dominant hand.

I listen to a blinding podcast, called Jame’s O'Brien’s Mystery Hour, and this question came up. Basically, right handed eating is performed as per I eat. The reason: Before we (the human race) developed forks, we used to "spear" our food with a blade, which was (as per right handededness) the "correct" way. We would spear the food, then eat it off of the knife.

Then, as time progressed, we developed forks. And the right hand continued to hold the knife.

Alas, I've been eating right handed, all of my life, even though I'm left handed.

Wishing you well, bud.
Just added it to my podcasts. Cheers mate 👍

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Ambidextrous but wear my watch on my left hand always. Write with my left hand. Always getting left and right hands confused as they struggle for dominance.

Made worse by the fact that in kindergarten, teacher tied my right hand behind my back until my parents found out about it.

I try not to use my hands when I talk, b/c otherwise they fly all over the place.

Tom

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Left handed and wear of my left. But I should mention that I am cross-dominant (not ambidextrous). I play all sports right-handed (throw, bat, shoot, etc.) but cannot write well with my right-hand.

Reactions: Pug72

lanceuppercut47

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
Right handed, wear my AW on my right wrist. However, I have a SE that I use for sleep tracking, that goes on my left wrist for no other purpose than to give my wrist a rest (ooh-er!) once every few nights when my Ultra2 goes on charge overnight.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Right handed, left wrist... but watch "upside down" (crown to the left). I kept bumping the crown so flipped it over a few years ago.

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Interesting topic actually!
I am right-handed and wear my watch on the left, crown on the right side up.
Six months ago, I fractured my left wrist and had to switch my watch over to the right for several weeks. I wore it on the right and kept the crown on the right side up.
In the beginning it was weird, but it worked fairly well. However, I kept bumping the watch more on things, wearing it on the right.
When the fracture was healed, I switched the watch back to the left side, which feels more natural to me.

Reactions: Thomas Davie

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I used to wear a watch on my right hand when I was still at work, but as I used a micropipette in my right hand it became easier to switch my chronograph watch on my left, so I could quickly pipette a sample and then start my watch on left hand for timing with my right hand still holding the pipette.

So, now with an AW, on the left hand it goes.

Tom

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Wishing you well, bud.
That's not what I heard. Knife is held in the right hand, because cutting is something most people do with their dominant hand. Fork is used to hold the food in place while cutting, which is a supportive task, to be done with the non-dominant hand. In the US, many people cut with fork in left and knife in right, then switch the fork to right to bring the food to their mouth. It is said that an American spy in Germany during WWII was found out because he was using his knife and fork the "American" way.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
That's not what I heard. Knife is held in the right hand, because cutting is something most people do with their dominant hand. Fork is used to hold the food in place while cutting, which is a supportive task, to be done with the non-dominant hand. In the US, many people cut with fork in left and knife in right, then switch the fork to right to bring the food to their mouth. It is said that an American spy in Germany during WWII was found out because he was using his knife and fork the "American" way.
Interesting this is. I was a lousy baseball player b/c I would catch with my left hand, take the glove off and then throw the ball with my left hand.

Soup: left or right hand
Drinking: left or right hand
Eating a slice of meat: generally knife right, fork left but I do switch around depending on where I am seated at a table.
Eating kebabs from a skewer: left and right hand equally
Punching: left or right, but left handed punch is more powerful
Flipping coins from finger to finger: left and right
Reading from e-reader: device held in either hand

And more

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.