Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Over the past few weeks I’ve been trying the Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pro 11 in stores trying to decide whether to buy it or not.

After a while using it I start to feel my right hand hurting, mainly using the small trackpad. It’s been a lot of years since the last time I frequently used a trackpad, since I mostly use iMacs with the Bluetooth Magic Mouse. It’s super comfortable and my hand never hurts using a mouse.

I also use this mouse wirelessly with the iPad Pro 11 M1, and the Apple wireless keyboard. No issues there.

But I wanted to buy the MK for its convenience. Am I the only one who has this issue? The trackpad is so small and cramped that it’s kind of normal to have the hand hurt after a while.

Reactions: jazz1

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
isn’t that maybe more a result of the non-ergonomic installations in stores?

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
I don’t have this issue, although I’d say the trackpad size is annoyingly small. Doesn’t seem to cause any physical issues though.

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2022
I use the magic keyboard for the M1 iPad Pro and its fine once you get used to it… don’t get the one with the trackpad, just the keyboard and pair it with the Magic Mouse, thats what i did… and all is good

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
We are all different. Some people happily sit and work for 8 hours on a 13 inch laptop while others prefer the comfort of an external monitor, mouse and keyboard.

MK is a big expense for something that might be uncomfortable. I suggest buying a used one to hedge against potentially not getting on with it.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I don’t have this issue, although I’d say the trackpad size is annoyingly small. Doesn’t seem to cause any physical issues though.
I have the 12.9 inch version and find the Apple Magic keyboard smallish trackpad eventually uncomfortable on my thumb/hand/wrist. I have the Logitech Combo Touch as an alternative, and find the larger trackpad much better than the Apple version. But, the keys and space bar seem to take a little more force, as well as some glitches with accusation of the space bar, and freezing cursor once in awhile. Also it certainly takes more space on a desktop, or laptop board, or even my lap with legs extended due to the back flap. If I can fix the glitches I’d prefer it over the Apple product.

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
I have the 12.9 inch version and find the Apple Magic keyboard smallish trackpad eventually uncomfortable on my thumb/hand/wrist. I have the Logitech Combo Touch as an alternative, and find the larger trackpad much better than the Apple version. But, the keys and space bar seem to take a little more force, as well as some glitches with accusation of the space bar, and freezing cursor once in awhile. Also it certainly takes more space on a desktop, or laptop board, or even my lap with legs extended due to the back flap. If I can fix the glitches I’d prefer it over the Apple product.
It's definitely time to see what Apple can do with an updated MKB, as well as some third parties (despite having less financial incentive) like Logi/Logitech/whatever they're calling themselves now. I know a lot of folks would like the function keys on the MKB, and while that would be nice I'd much rather have a larger trackpad.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
It's definitely time to see what Apple can do with an updated MKB, as well as some third parties (despite having less financial incentive) like Logi/Logitech/whatever they're calling themselves now. I know a lot of folks would like the function keys on the MKB, and while that would be nice I'd much rather have a larger trackpad.
Yes, I agree a larger trackpad would be a priority over the function key. But I have to say the Logitech Combo's function key row for my 12.9" iPad Pro turns out to be very, very handy.

I recently had to reach out to Logitech for tech. assistance as the space bar occasionally won't trigger, and the cursor when using the trackpad sometimes freezes. If the tech. advice cures this I'll be even happier with the Combo Touch....but I'd be happier with a revamped Apple Magic Keyboard. I do own the original one iPad MK folio.

Reactions: EastHillWill

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...But I wanted to buy the MK for its convenience. Am I the only one who has this issue? The trackpad is so small and cramped that it’s kind of normal to have the hand hurt after a while.
There is nothing wrong with primarily using a mouse with the MK which you bought so you don't always have to bring a mouse.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
But I wanted to buy the MK for its convenience. Am I the only one who has this issue? The trackpad is so small and cramped that it’s kind of normal to have the hand hurt after a while.
I have to say that I just don’t use the trackpad on the MKB that much so no discomfort there. But I understand your issue. Years ago when I primarily used my MacBook Pro laptop I would experience cramping in my wrist from using the trackpad. It just was not comfortable angling my hand that way. So I bought a Magic Trackpad and kept it to the right of the laptop allowing me to keep my wrist straight. It was far more comfortable and efficient this way. I wound up using it all the time until I migrated to using my iPad Pro primarily. If I really needed to use an ipad and really needed to use the trackpad a lot I might very well look at something like this again, perhaps with the Smart Keyboard folio instead of the MKB. Or you’ll just need to alter your position and/or the angle of the keyboard.

Reactions: varezhka

varezhka

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2022
Ergonomics is different for everyone, but yeah, the cramped size and the location of the trackpad in the iPad Magic Keyboard didn't work for me either. Cool accessory but it wasn't for me. I'm sticking with my Magic Trackpad 2, definitely worth the extra equipment.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Yes, I agree a larger trackpad would be a priority over the function key. But I have to say the Logitech Combo's function key row for my 12.9" iPad Pro turns out to be very, very handy.

I recently had to reach out to Logitech for tech. assistance as the space bar occasionally won't trigger, and the cursor when using the trackpad sometimes freezes. If the tech. advice cures this I'll be even happier with the Combo Touch....but I'd be happier with a revamped Apple Magic Keyboard. I do own the original one iPad MK folio.
Are issues with disconnection on the combo touch still not resolved?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Are issues with disconnection on the combo touch still not resolved?
Well, while experience shows that you have to do this again after each iPadOS update if affected:
  1. Open Logitech Control App; ensure you are on the newest version available in the App Store.
  2. On screen, using the image of the keyboard within the app, place your fingers on the Q+W+E buttons, once you have placed your fingers on those, touch/press the Globe key on the image of the keyboard.
  3. If successful, you will see the text below the Logi logo change to Unlocking Firmware Update.
  4. After Unlocking Firmware Update appears, touch/press the grayed out FIRMWARE UPDATE AVAILABLE button.
  5. The “New Firmware” window will appear and you can touch/press Start Update which will re-initiate the firmware update.
This will solve almost in all occasions the disconnection problems - even when there is no real new firmware update.

Of course you should check first Logitech’s recommendation like make sure the connector is clean, has good contact, etc. - refer to the Logitech help for details.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Over the past few weeks I’ve been trying the Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pro 11 in stores trying to decide whether to buy it or not.

After a while using it I start to feel my right hand hurting, mainly using the small trackpad. It’s been a lot of years since the last time I frequently used a trackpad, since I mostly use iMacs with the Bluetooth Magic Mouse. It’s super comfortable and my hand never hurts using a mouse.

I also use this mouse wirelessly with the iPad Pro 11 M1, and the Apple wireless keyboard. No issues there.

11” MKB is a bit cramped but I didn‘t have any issue. Probably I didn‘t type on it as much as you did.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
On the 11” it takes some getting used to the small trackpad, but I don’t see any ergonomic difficulties.

It’s a day/night difference to using the Smart Keyboard folio. Much better, and actually made me use my iPad a whole lot more.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Well, while experience shows that you have to do this again after each iPadOS update if affected:
  1. Open Logitech Control App; ensure you are on the newest version available in the App Store.
  2. On screen, using the image of the keyboard within the app, place your fingers on the Q+W+E buttons, once you have placed your fingers on those, touch/press the Globe key on the image of the keyboard.
  3. If successful, you will see the text below the Logi logo change to Unlocking Firmware Update.
  4. After Unlocking Firmware Update appears, touch/press the grayed out FIRMWARE UPDATE AVAILABLE button.
  5. The “New Firmware” window will appear and you can touch/press Start Update which will re-initiate the firmware update.
This will solve almost in all occasions the disconnection problems - even when there is no real new firmware update.

Of course you should check first Logitech’s recommendation like make sure the connector is clean, has good contact, etc. - refer to the Logitech help for details.
How the heck did you figure out this "cheat code"?

Alias3800

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2015
I had the 11” Magic Keyboard for a few months and all I remember is that the left corner would dig into my palm, as it’s the main leverage point when the MK is on your lap (keeping it from toppling over), and to a lesser extent, also when it’s on a table. It was constant and annoying.

I’m sure it wouldn’t cause any long-term problems, but it made it less comfortable to use for long periods of time in comparison to either a MacBook (way more palm-rest area) or the traditional Magic Keyboard (which is flat and allows your palm to rest on the table).

The 12.9” Magic Keyboard case seems to have the same issue from what I’ve seen in the store, as the palm rest area is still not big enough.

YMMV of course, since not many people seem to be complaining about this.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I haven’t had any issues using the magic keyboard on my 3rd generation iPad Pro, in fact it is a pleasure to use with the trackpad, keeps fingerprints off the screen and the back lit keys.

Reactions: papbot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.