Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobosita

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Georgia
Hi everyone, my IMac 2011 glass has cracked, its no chance to find it in my country, what if i will use usually thin glass with the same size instad of original? And what if i will use IMac 1 or 2 month without glass at all?

zeratul75

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2020
using without glass is not a problem but.....non original glass is available on amazon.....where are you from?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi everyone, my IMac 2011 glass has cracked, its no chance to find it in my country, what if i will use usually thin glass with the same size instad of original? And what if i will use IMac 1 or 2 month without glass at all?

Without the glass, your iMac will function normally. No problem at all. You can use it for as long as you want. The iMac may be broken, but it would be broken of some other reason, not because of not having the protection glass.
The LCD will get dusty, and its surface is not smooth as the protection glass, so only dry dusting by soft brush, no wiping, no wet cleaning.
It's not pretty to many eyes, but does no harm to your iMac at all.
You can't make the protection glass by simply cut a piece of glass to shape an put it on. The black part, the steel part on the original glass is necessary to keep it in place and look nice.

Reactions: Bobosita

Quondam2009

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2021
You’ll want to protect the LCD screen, as it is very difficult to clean fingerprints from. You should be able to cut a thin sheet of clear acrylic or lexan plastic to shape and cover the LCD. Try to get a sheet with the thin removable plastic film on either side, so it’s protected from accidental scratches while you cut it.

You could glue strips of thin magnetic metal down either side, so the magnets on the sides of the case can hold the screen on, or you could just glue the sheet in place along the edges — with a removable glue of course.

If you paint a black border on the back of the sheet, you could have something that looks very decent.

Bobosita

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Georgia
You’ll want to protect the LCD screen, as it is very difficult to clean fingerprints from. You should be able to cut a thin sheet of clear acrylic or lexan plastic to shape and cover the LCD. Try to get a sheet with the thin removable plastic film on either side, so it’s protected from accidental scratches while you cut it.

You could glue strips of thin magnetic metal down either side, so the magnets on the sides of the case can hold the screen on, or you could just glue the sheet in place along the edges — with a removable glue of course.

If you paint a black border on the back of the sheet, you could have something that looks very decent.
Thanx, i am going to cut thin (2mm) glass wich usually used for covering photos, but instad of painting border i think to use double-sided black tape... will show you result :)

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Bobosita

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Georgia
I agree. That's why I suggested clear acrylic plastic or lexan polycarbonate. It's less brittle than glass, and won't slice you open as easily when it breaks.
I was thinking about it, but, I’m not sure i can find it in my city, and I’m not sure it will be so transparent as glass, and if you ll see my broken glass condition you ll change your mind about “more brittle and fragile”, and one more thing, as i mentioned before I’m going use double side tape to hole perimeter and hope it will prevent full collapse of glass in case of accident…

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I was thinking about it, but, I’m not sure i can find it in my city, and I’m not sure it will be so transparent as glass, and if you ll see my broken glass condition you ll change your mind about “more brittle and fragile”, and one more thing, as i mentioned before I’m going use double side tape to hole perimeter and hope it will prevent full collapse of glass in case of accident…

It's a normal materials at some hardware stores, or advertisement light box store. Just checking around.
You can also use thick glass, but you need to have it tempered, and its edge ground for safety purpose.

Bobosita

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Georgia
So... I did it. it's not exactly look like "Designed in California by Apple", it has some air bubbles in camera aria, but this is much better then cracked glass, and total cost is 8 USD :)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3c1.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3c1.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 167
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.