Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I’m having issues with Handoff and Continuity between my devices

Devices in question:

iPhone 8 Plus running 12.2, barely 2 weeks old
2014 Mac Mini on macOS Mojave 10.14.4, did a clean install a couple months ago

What works:

Safari tabs - if I have a tab open in Safari on my phone, I can jump to it on my Mac. Vice versa holds true as well.

What doesn’t work:

App Handoff - I open an app on my phone, Mail for example, Mail on my Mac doesn’t pop up on my dock. Same applies if I start on my Mac, it doesn’t show on my phone. Used to work perfectly fine on older versions of iOS, macOS, and an older iPhone.

Import from iPhone on the desktop - Take Photo and Scan Documents are grayed out

Cannot sign into Messages or FaceTime on my Mac, always get an error during authentication.

What I have tried to fix it:

-Power cycled my devices

-Disabled Handoff on both devices, power cycled, and re-enabled

-Signed out of iCloud, power cycled, and signed back in. Did one device first then the other due to 2FA.

Anyone run into similar issues and have some ideas how to fix?

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Called Apple Support. Turns out there was some kind of black list on my account, not sure how that happened. They got it fixed and everything is working as it should now.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Called Apple Support. Turns out there was some kind of black list on my account, not sure how that happened. They got it fixed and everything is working as it should now.

so this "blacklist" prevented Continuity/Hand Off from functioning?

was this "blacklist " a credit card issue or a password issue?

so in the end, this "blacklist" was causing an iCloud ability to sync info across devices ?

and fixing the "blacklist" matter allowed Continuity / Hand Off data transmission that goes over iCloud ?

Reactions: iGobbleoff

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
The blacklist was my phone number was reported as a spam account. It was only affecting Messages and Handoff, other iCloud syncing was not affected.

Once the Advisor removed my number from being blacklisted, restarted my devices, Messages and Handoff was working without issue.

supagiant

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2020
Specs:
  • Mac Pro 5,1
  • Mojave 10.14.6
  • Broadcom Wifi/Bluetooth card BCM94360CD 802.11ac
  • Air Drop enabled and WORKING.

I'm not able "Import from iPhone". Take Photo and Scan Documents is grayed out.
Bluetooth and Wifi is on and on the same network.
Two-factor is enabled on bother devices and signed into the same Apple ID.

Turned off wifi and bluetooth on both devices. Restarted both and turned back on.
Signed out of iCloud on both devices and signed back in.
iPhone is paired to Mac Pro

I read the blacklist entry above and want to confirm that is the main issue.

Any thoughts on why it's not working?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.