Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natd1993

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Great Britain
For those who have installed both Yosemite and iOS 8, is there a set of system requirements to use handoff? Obviously iOS devices that are capable of running iOS 8 should be fully compatible, but is there a cutoff point with Macs? Can older Macs, before 2010 for example, use Handoff?

Thanks

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
For those who have installed both Yosemite and iOS 8, is there a set of system requirements to use handoff? Obviously iOS devices that are capable of running iOS 8 should be fully compatible, but is there a cutoff point with Macs? Can older Macs, before 2010 for example, use Handoff?

Thanks

It isn't clear yet. Some have said it will require Bluetooth LE while others have said it will work over wifi. Apple's Yosemite page on their website doesn't have a disclaimer saying it requires BLE so I imagine it should work over wifi and any mac that supports yosemite should support these features. I am hoping so anyway...

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I believe as long as the computer and iOS device supports AirDrop (since there's a certain type of Wi-Fi functionality these devices have), it should work.

There is a chance that it will require BLE though, which sucks for me, because I was really hoping to get it on my 2011 Macbook Pro and it was one of the reasons I was switching back to iPhone this fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.