Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sojer2005

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Hi, I am on the latest stable iOS.

Have you noticed that despite turning on Private Mode in Safari, while browsing, the Safari icon appears on the iPad and you can open the page viewed on the iPhone by handoff (although Safari on the iPhone is turned on in private mode). It seems to me that the handoff function does not always respect the fact that I browse in private mode and allows you to open this page also on your iPad ....

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I hadn't noticed, but you inspired me to see if I can duplicate your results (oh, the perils of having nothing more to do while sheltering-in-place).

I just tested Handoff between an iPad Pro on iPadOS 13.4, an iMac on Catalina 10.15.4, and an iPhone X on iOS 13.3.1. Private Browsing is "respected" in all cases - between iPhone and iPad, between iPhone and Mac, and between iPad and Mac. Regardless of which device is the source and which is the destination - no Handoff while Private Browsing is engaged; handoff works just as expected when Private Browsing is off.

Do unexpected things happen? Yes. Among other things, that's what beta testing is for (and you may have noticed I am running several betas). Maybe this will be fixed by restarting Safari and/or your devices, or maybe the solution requires deeper troubleshooting than that. Or maybe "it seems to me" is not what it seemed.

The thing is, with over a billion Apple devices in use, there's room for all sorts of one-off unexpected results. Between the two of us we're responsible for just a handful of those data points. I can't know if my experience is typical, or whether yours is.

rand0mwa1k

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
I can confirm the problem persists in iOS 14. Strangely enough, Microsoft Edge InPrivate tabs on my iPhone are shown in Safari(!) on my iPad!
Seems like a bug to me, I'm not sure why this is happening.

shrjung

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
Also seeing this issue. Working in Brave on Mac and my tabs are popping up on iphone x. Tried everything to stop this. Shut off icloud for Safari. Cant find any answers online. I don't like the idea of safari having access to sites I visit in another browser on a different device. It's creepy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.