Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hello! I just installed 10.10 on my Late 2011 MacBook Pro and iOS 8 on my iPhone 5. I cannot figure out how to enable Handoff, is it not available yet?

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Hello! I just installed 10.10 on my Late 2011 MacBook Pro and iOS 8 on my iPhone 5. I cannot figure out how to enable Handoff, is it not available yet?

I have the early 2011, and iOS 8 on my iPhone 5, I am trying to figure this and AirDrop out....?

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Handoff is probably blocked unless your UDID is registered.. Apple has done the same thing with other features in the past.. Using a phone number as an iMessage ID is one example of this.

uPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
actually I can SMS people from my macbook now, but when my friend called i didnt get any notification of call on my macbook.

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
actually I can SMS people from my macbook now, but when my friend called i didnt get any notification of call on my macbook.

Yeah, the telephone service is reporting errors in console. SMS works fine though.

April Knight

Suspended
Jul 24, 2011
Olympia, WA
SMS is working fine for me on all of my devices. Everything else is very on and off.

Using:

Late 2013 27" iMac
iPad Air
iPhone 5s
iPod touch (5th gen)

All iOS devices were restored as new using iOS 8 beta 1 ipsw. iMac had 10.10 upgraded (not clean installed) from 10.9.3.

Sometimes it works just fine, other times it's like the feature doesn't exist. It works better Mac to iOS, for me. Opening Safari, Mail, etc. on an iOS device, my iMac will only sometimes bring up the Handoff option. Conversely, using a Handoff-enabled app on my iMac almost always brings up the little dimmed icon on the lock screen of my iPad and iPhone (for example, browsing the Maps app on my iMac, I can use it to bring up the same location on my iOS device).

I am willing to bet it has something to do with the interaction of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. When it works on my iOS device, the Bluetooth icon in the top-right of the device shows it is connected. Occasionally it will look like it's connecting and disconnecting.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
SMS is working fine for me on all of my devices. Everything else is very on and off.

Sometimes it works just fine, other times it's like the feature doesn't exist. It works better Mac to iOS, for me. Opening Safari, Mail, etc. on an iOS device, my iMac will only sometimes bring up the Handoff option. Conversely, using a Handoff-enabled app on my iMac almost always brings up the little dimmed icon on the lock screen of my iPad and iPhone (for example, browsing the Maps app on my iMac, I can use it to bring up the same location on my iOS device).

I am willing to bet it has something to do with the interaction of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. When it works on my iOS device, the Bluetooth icon in the top-right of the device shows it is connected. Occasionally it will look like it's connecting and disconnecting.

Finally got it to work...somewhat. Definitely easier going from iPhone to Mac. I get the little box to show next to the dock, but Mail is really finicky and nothing happens besides the app opening. Safari seems to function properly. Looks like it relies on Bluetooth only? This is going to be an awesome feature once it is fully functional...can't wait.

April Knight

Suspended
Jul 24, 2011
Olympia, WA
Finally got it to work...somewhat. Definitely easier going from iPhone to Mac. I get the little box to show next to the dock, but Mail is really finicky and nothing happens besides the app opening. Safari seems to function properly. Looks like it relies on Bluetooth only? This is going to be an awesome feature once it is fully functional...can't wait.

Without breaking any sort of NDA rules, I can say that I believe it's expected in this particular build that Handoff won't be working correctly. I'm with you, though-- the Handoff and Continuity features are my favorite bit about both updates, so I'm stoked for when they start working correctly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.