Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terps2005

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
For those that have handoff working...is this feature alone worth upgrading your MBA? I have a mid 2011 and tried editing all the kext files yesterday to no avail. I'd really like to get this working and am thinking about going to a 2014 MBA if its not enabled at launch.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
For those that have handoff working...is this feature alone worth upgrading your MBA? I have a mid 2011 and tried editing all the kext files yesterday to no avail. I'd really like to get this working and am thinking about going to a 2014 MBA if its not enabled at launch.

First I would try again with the kexts edits. Many many people including my self got handoff to work with the mba 2011. So don't give up on that. If you pm me your email And Mac id I'll do the edits for you and send them to you if that's what you need.

Is it worth an upgrade? I say no but you may benifit from the upgrade in other ways but I would not recommend updating just for handoff.

terps2005

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
First I would try again with the kexts edits. Many many people including my self got handoff to work with the mba 2011. So don't give up on that. If you pm me your email And Mac id I'll do the edits for you and send them to you if that's what you need.

Is it worth an upgrade? I say no but you may benifit from the upgrade in other ways but I would not recommend updating just for handoff.

I appreciate it...I'll wait until release and see what happens. It it's something that can be done with a software tweak I hope Apple will enable it. If it still doesn't work then I may take you up on that help offer.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I appreciate it...I'll wait until release and see what happens. It it's something that can be done with a software tweak I hope Apple will enable it. If it still doesn't work then I may take you up on that help offer.

Not a problem. Just shoot me a pm when you want me to do it. It takes a few min once you know what you are doing(and what causes problems) I highly doubt that they will enable it in the final release because they purposely blacklisted the airs and minis. But waiting till release will mean you won't have to drop the kexts as often.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Not a problem. Just shoot me a pm when you want me to do it. It takes a few min once you know what you are doing(and what causes problems) I highly doubt that they will enable it in the final release because they purposely blacklisted the airs and minis. But waiting till release will mean you won't have to drop the kexts as often.

Hm. So you finally got it working? Wow. But you still needed to replace the WiFi hardware, yes?

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Wow! Very weird of Apple if they don't implement this in 2011 MBA with the solution right in front of them. Bordering on evil I would say.

don55

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
Wow! Very weird of Apple if they don't implement this in 2011 MBA with the solution right in front of them. Bordering on evil I would say.

I submitted a bug report to Apple and this was the reply:

Engineering has determined that there are no plans to address this based on the following:

MacBook Air 2011 doesn’t have the necessary bluetooth firmware fixes to run Handoff.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

Engineering has determined that there are no plans to address this based on the following:

MacBook Air 2011 doesn’t have the necessary bluetooth firmware fixes to run Handoff.

Do they know it's working over at this end now?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007

It's not a bug it was a conscience decision on their end to not make it compatible. Hence the "black listing of airs and minis"

don55

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
It's not a bug it was a conscience decision on their end to not make it compatible. Hence the "black listing of airs and minis"

Yea I thought that a bug report was the best way to get an answer from them. I did not tell them that handoff is working fine on my MBA with the blacklists removed from the kext's. Thank you UncleSchnitty

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Thanks to dokterdok's tutorial I was able to get Handoff and the new AirDrop, that makes the device discoverable instantly working on PB6. I figure Instant Hotspot will start working once iOS 8.1 is out.
Shame Apple decided that the 2011 MBA is obsolete in this respect even though it clearly supports all the aforementioned features.
Hat tip to the guy who took his time to put this guide together and helping us enable a feature that was supposed to be there from the very beginning. Here's to hoping Apple won't mess with these kexts, but since they don't plan on supporting BLE on this model I figure they won't change the extensions any more.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Thanks to dokterdok's tutorial I was able to get Handoff and the new AirDrop, that makes the device discoverable instantly working on PB6. I figure Instant Hotspot will start working once iOS 8.1 is out.
Shame Apple decided that the 2011 MBA is obsolete in this respect even though it clearly supports all the aforementioned features.
Hat tip to the guy who took his time to put this guide together and helping us enable a feature that was supposed to be there from the very beginning. Here's to hoping Apple won't mess with these kexts, but since they don't plan on supporting BLE on this model I figure they won't change the extensions any more.
Just a heads up, some of the updates do change the kext back so keep a backup of them so you can drop them with kextdrop when it gets screwed up.

bunger

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Has anyone performed the kext changes, rebooted, and still had the missing Handoff setting issue?

I just walked through the process ( double-checking my entries ), rebooted, and still no Handoff option?!

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Has anyone performed the kext changes, rebooted, and still had the missing Handoff setting issue?

I just walked through the process ( double-checking my entries ), rebooted, and still no Handoff option?!
did you log out of iCloud on your mac and iPhone/ipad? sometimes it does take a few to make the handshake connection

bunger

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
did you log out of iCloud on your mac and iPhone/ipad? sometimes it does take a few to make the handshake connection

I did... but the issue is that the "Handoff" setting in System Preferences on the MBA never shows up after the changes and rebooting, so I have no way of turning it on or off...

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I did... but the issue is that the "Handoff" setting in System Preferences on the MBA never shows up after the changes and rebooting, so I have no way of turning it on or off...

If handoff under general didn't show up then a mistake was made on the kext mod.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I modified the instructions for clarity:
TUTORIAL
Modified from Dokterdok’s original

1. Download and install 0xED in your Applications folder, you can get it from here:
http://www.suavetech.com/0xed/

2. Download and install KextDrop in your Applications folder, you can get it from here:
http://www.cindori.org/software/kextdrop/

3. Open Terminal and type :
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
4. Restart your machine.

5. Open Finder, type CMD+Shift+G and go to /System/Library/Extensions/

6. Copy the files below to your desktop and then delete the originals. Make an extra backup copy of the 2 files in a separate folder just in case.
Code:
IO80211Family.kext
IOBluetoothFamily.kext
7. Go to Terminal, and type: (exactly as below)
Code:
ioreg -l | grep "board-id" | awk -F\" '{print $4}'
8. Your result should look like : Mac-742912EFDBEE19B3, (yours might be different.). Copy it to your clipboard (Select and CMD+C). Don't close terminal yet.

9. Open Finder and hit CMD+Shift+G, go to ~/Desktop/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS
Note: if you have a different OS language, you might need to replace "Desktop" in the path with your local translation.

10. Right Click on AirPortBrcm4360, and choose OPEN WITH: OTHER: 0XED

11. In the upper right hand corner under “search text" search for "Mac-" (without the quotes).

12. Look at the first result, for example, it might be Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86

13. Delete the numbers after Mac- and Manually type your Mac- numbers (from step 8 be very careful not to delete anything else just the numbers.

14. Press down arrow till you get to the last Mac- (should look like Mac-2E6FAB96566FE58C)

15.Delete the numbers after Mac- and Manually type your Mac- numbers (from step 8 be very careful not to delete anything else just the numbers.

16. Click Save (the red circle)

17. Open Finder and hit CMD+Shift+G to open the "Go to" popup, and go to ~/Desktop/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS

18. Right Click on IOBluetoothFamily, and choose OPEN WITH: OTHER: 0XED.

19. In the SEARCH field (upper right corner) type:MacBookAir then enter.

20. You will find a block of text containing
Code:
'MacBookAir4,1''MacBookAir4,2''Macmini5,1''Macmini5,2''Macmini5,3'
Manually replace the numbers with ones only so they all look like:
Code:
'MacBookAir1,1''MacBookAir1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1'
Important: Be careful not to add any character while doing the replacement.

21. Click SAVE (the red circle button) and quit 0xED.

22. Open KextDrop, and Drag and drop the IO80211Family.kext that you modified into the window.

23. Click INSTALL.

24. Repeat steps 23 and 24 but for your modified IOBluetoothFamily.kext

25. Go Back to Terminal, and type the following commands. Wait for each one to finish.

Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-caches
26. Reboot. Make sure you have an Internet connection for the next steps.

27. Go to > SYSTEM PREFERENCES> GENERAL, at the bottom click ENABLE HANDOFF.

28. Go to > SYSTEM PREFERENCES> ICLOUD, click on SIGN OUT.

29. On your iOS Device, go to SETTINGS> ICLOUD and SIGN OUT.

30. Restart your Mac and iOS device.

31. Go to > SYSTEM PREFERENCES> ICLOUD, and enter your credentials to sign in.

32. On your iOS Device, go to SETTINGS> ICLOUD and SIGN IN.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Ive put all my finding and modified instructions in one thread Handoff Breakdown

I wanted a place where all the facts could be put together. Im deleting all my other thread subscriptions except for that (hah too many email alerts) If anyone needs my help Ill be helping people there.

turbo06

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Mine is doing the same nothing showing up in general. I have done it twice also. Mine are even the same numbers as the tutorial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.