Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I understand that can still be done today. I'm just saying it looks like it's easier for those people with iPhones to steal credit cards and use them in public places than before. If I snap a photo of some dude's card at the bar, I can then use it at a sports stadium instead of only shopping online. No one knows that I'm using a stolen card because there is no card or even a "SEE ID" written on the back.

I wonder how they implemented adding cards to the payment system. It can't be as simple as taking a picture of the card.

There is a bank verification test. They said this.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Apple actually appears to have an excellent record when it comes to credit card security. The iTunes Store era is what, 10+ years with probably one of the largest databases of credit cards in the world? And as far back as I can recall, there has never been a hack that exposed any credit card information.

It seems like Apple's doing all of the right things with how Apple Pay is designed.

I wonder if the next step for this is integration with the Mac? Imagine going to a web site and being able to authenticate the purchase via your iPhone, with your credit card details never transmitted in the open.

jun180

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Australia and many other developed nations have been using contactless PayWave/PayPass technology for transactions for many years...I can't remember the last time I swiped and signed using a credit card.

Some Aussie banks also have their own NFC enabled android apps that allow tap & pay without the need for a physical card.

Does IOS8 allow non-apple apps to pay using NFC, or will everything have to go through apple pay? If apple pay is the only way to pay using NFC on an iphone, then its a step backwards for us who already use our phones to pay for items.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Having used Google Wallet on Android for years, you Apple folk are in for a world of disappointment.

Retailers don't trust contactless payments, terminals are often non-functional and it's generally a highly unreliable method of payment.

Don't shred you cards yet...in fact, not much will change in the way of contactless (NFC) payments for at least 6-8 more years. This is a fact.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I understand that can still be done today. I'm just saying it looks like it's easier for those people with iPhones to steal credit cards and use them in public places than before. If I snap a photo of some dude's card at the bar, I can then use it at a sports stadium instead of only shopping online.
It's not as simple as just snapping a picture of the card to activate it for Apple Pay. The issuing bank needs to be involved in the activation process, since Apple Pay transactions don't use the account data printed on the card, but cryptographic tokens that are linked to the credit card account. The bank and the phone first need to negotiate cryptographic keys that are stored on the phone and used to generate the tokens before it can work.
I wonder how they implemented adding cards to the payment system. It can't be as simple as taking a picture of the card.
It's not clear yet now exactly this will look in practice from a user perspective. Perhaps you will have to log in to your bank's web page and run some kind of activation process there.

----------

Having used Google Wallet on Android for years, you Apple folk are in for a world of disappointment.

Retailers don't trust contactless payments, terminals are often non-functional and it's generally a highly unreliable method of payment.

Don't shred you cards yet...in fact, not much will change in the way of contactless (NFC) payments for at least 6-8 more years. This is a fact.
Apple is clearly hoping to do better than Google. It remains to be seen if it will work. One reason why it might is not so much because of technical differences, but because they can incentivize merchants by offering kickbacks from the rebates on transaction fees they have negotiated with the banks.

Also, I believe in terms of usability Apple Pay will be much nicer because of Touch ID. Nobody likes fumbling around with their phone entering PINs etc.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
One thing that Apple has not mentioned is that does the NFC mobile payment functionality on the iPhone 6 through Apple Pay work with user-refillable prepaid NFC mobile payment systems such as Mobile Suica and Rakuten Edy in Japan and Olleh Touch in South Korea.

If it does, this could tremendously increase sales of the iPhone, since NFC mobile payments are common in the two countries I mentioned.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
There is value to the credit card companies in knowing where you shop, which stores you visit and how much you spend. (Profile Apple customers, work out where they also shop, sell that insight to Apple and/or target these types of customers through advertising) Two of these pieces of information will be gone by using Apple Pay, so the banks/cc companies will actually be giving up revenue streams by being on board. Apple might need to compensate them for that...

----------

PayPass here in Aus, with purchase verified in about 1 sec. 5-10secs for Apple Pay to verify? I'd rather get my wallet out while I'm waiting for my Sandwich Artist to make my sub and be gone before the cashier can ask me how my day has been

Credit card companies would still have this... Apple is just acting as a middle man, essentially using the iPhone as the touchPass, PayWave, or whatever the credit card companies are calling it now. Apple doesn't process ANYTHING, they just connect the merchent to the credit card company. The credit card company essentially sees the same stuff they did before (i.e. $105.21 from Walmart).

----------

One thing that Apple has not mentioned is that does the NFC mobile payment functionality on the iPhone 6 through Apple Pay work with user-refillable prepaid NFC mobile payment systems such as Mobile Suica and Rakuten Edy in Japan and Olleh Touch in South Korea.

If it does, this could tremendously increase sales of the iPhone, since NFC mobile payments are common in the two countries I mentioned.

Actually, they kind of did mention this by saying Apple Pay will only be available in the US for now.

applegeek97

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
California
Your or her credit card info won't be in iCloud.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/apple-pay/

Every time you hand over your credit or debit card to pay, your card number and identity are visible. With Apple Pay, instead of using your actual credit and debit card numbers when you add your card, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone. These numbers are never stored on Apple servers. And when you make a purchase, the Device Account Number alongside a transaction-specific dynamic security code is used to process your payment. So your actual credit or debit card numbers are never shared with merchants or transmitted with payment.

So like Touch ID, if I moved to another iPhone 6 for maybe a genius bar visit or such, I would have to re-enter my fingerprints AND credit card data??

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
Yet, Apple didn't do anything like that. Why? Because if you think globally, NFC is THE standard for mobile payments backed, funded and implemented by the CC companies.

iBeacon would not take anything away from the credit card companies at all. They are transceivers that can facilitate payments that take place with credit cards over Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth LE). I posted earlier in this threat, and another poster replied that they think that Apple is on the way to moving from NFC to iBeacons. Apple first wants to establish relationships with the card companies, issuing banks, and merchants, and then will begin to roll out iBeacon networks. I agree with the poster's analysis! I think it would be great for iBeacons to be rolled out in a large-scale deployment, it would be a very powerful way to conduct commerce.

----------

Will Apple Pay require a network connection? I've tried using Google Wallet and after a few instances where the transaction failed because I had poor reception, I gave up. I don't want to be fumbling with my phone, dealing with poor reception, etc. when all I want to do is pay for my purchase.

If Apple Pay requires a network connection like Google Wallet does, I don't think it's going to take off, especially in the US where good cell reception is far from ubiquitous. And even though I live in NYC, which arguably has the best cell coverage in America, there are just a lot of places indoors where you don't get cell reception.

If I am not mistaken, the connection from iPhone to terminal occurs over NFC. The terminal is connected to the network, though, so that is where the transaction takes place.

----------

It's not as simple as just snapping a picture of the card to activate it for Apple Pay. The issuing bank needs to be involved in the activation process, since Apple Pay transactions don't use the account data printed on the card, but cryptographic tokens that are linked to the credit card account. The bank and the phone first need to negotiate cryptographic keys that are stored on the phone and used to generate the tokens before it can work.
It's not clear yet now exactly this will look in practice from a user perspective. Perhaps you will have to log in to your bank's web page and run some kind of activation process there.

----------

Apple is clearly hoping to do better than Google. It remains to be seen if it will work. One reason why it might is not so much because of technical differences, but because they can incentivize merchants by offering kickbacks from the rebates on transaction fees they have negotiated with the banks.

Also, I believe in terms of usability Apple Pay will be much nicer because of Touch ID. Nobody likes fumbling around with their phone entering PINs etc.

I am also having some conversations with ppl on MR about this. Some of us think that after Apple establishes trust with merchants, the credit card companies, and issuing banks, the company will move to expand its iBeacon network and will move away from NFC. iBeacons are much more reliable and also create a better experience because they not only can facilitate financial transactions, but can also send push notifications to devices. These notifications can include coupons, receipts, and other information that would normally be distributed on paper or through e-mail.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This would be good if everyone gets in on it, but only real world tests will matter.

I see at this stage there is no word of "other supported countries" listed, just that "we are working we other countries." which to me translates to "it will never happen".

If Apple are really keen on making it happen, why is it limited ?

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
Because everybody else has gone NFC.
Apple products, love em. They suit me, (at the moment), and what I like and I’m lucky enough to be able to afford one.
But Apple execs are complete douchebags. They are so ridiculous when it comes to speaking about their products. Whether you think he’s great or not Jony Ive makes the most contrived and stomach turning videos I’ve, (excuse the pun), ever seen.
As for Schiller and Cook they are out of touch. Everything has to be cool. Why? U2 certainly ain’t cool.

Anyway this particular artcle I find weird. Tim Cook commented that Apple Pay is "incredibly safe” Eh??? Whilst it may turn out that way, you can’t possibly have carried out widespread testing yet TC.
That’s akin to Luca Di Montezemolo saying his cars are the fastest and best handling when only motoring journos have tested it. They can do all the laps of Nurburgring and cold weather testing in the world but until it hits the street they just don’t know.

I do believe that Apple has created a safe payment system, they implemented a special chip on the logic board to securely hold credit and payment card information. They are also using tokenized transactions to encrypt and securely transmit payment details between POS terminals and iDevices.

What I was pondering, though, is why Apple has not initially implemented use of its iBeacon technology for payments. Apple may have embraced NFC at first, in order to build rapport with the credit card companies and issuing banks, and then will also continue rolling out iBeacons as time goes on.

Chabba

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
I can make a bet that this won't happen in 5 or more years. Banks are the one move really slowly on technologies. Some banks are still using Windows XP and DOS like system on their computers. NFC equipped ATM? I can see it coming and installed in new locations, but it gonna be hard to get banks replacing their old ATM with newer one. This just won't happen in near future.

Beside... Unless everyone in the earth equipped with iPhone, then you will still see physics card issued and there is no real incentive for merchants, FIs to upgrade their facilities.

Contactless ATMs are already a thing.
Magnetic swipe cards are no longer a thing after October next year.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
PayPass here in Aus, with purchase verified in about 1 sec. 5-10secs for Apple Pay to verify?

Indeed. I'd love to know how "5-10 seconds" meshes with "smoothest payment system"; it's trivial to just hold my wallet to the Paywave reader for one second. I don't need to take my card out, I don't need to press buttons, and I certainly don't need to hold it there for 5-10 seconds. If I wanted that then I'd go to KFC (or somewhere else with misconfigured terminals) and use the chip.

Matt-

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2012
That video from the verge was frustrating to watch the guy wasn't even holding the phone close enough to the sensor ?? Makes it look like it takes longer than it probably does

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Australia and many other developed nations have been using contactless PayWave/PayPass technology for transactions for many years...I can't remember the last time I swiped and signed using a credit card.

Some Aussie banks also have their own NFC enabled android apps that allow tap & pay without the need for a physical card.

Does IOS8 allow non-apple apps to pay using NFC, or will everything have to go through apple pay? If apple pay is the only way to pay using NFC on an iphone, then its a step backwards for us who already use our phones to pay for items.
Canada is one of these countries. Cards with NFC have been around for quite some time in Canada and the rest of the world. I've been using NFC payments for almost ten years.

NFC payment only requires the tap on the card on the payment device. The video makes it look so complicated. Every card in my wallet has an NFC chip and I just choose the card and tap. Done.

We also have NFC phone payments in Canada, (with the NFC chip in the sim card) but that seems like a step backwards from NFC card payments.

NFC payments and payments with smartphones are new only in the US. The only reason why it might work in the US is because the banking system is so complicated. Once the terminals are in place, the banks will start issuing cards with NFC chips and payment with the phone will be pointless.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
NFC payments and payments with smartphones are new only in the US. The only reason why it might work in the US is because the banking system is so complicated. Once the terminals are in place, the banks will start issuing cards with NFC chips and payment with the phone will be pointless.
Paywave/Paypass have actually been available for many years in the US, and there is already a significant installed base of NFC-enabled POS terminals (which is where the 220,000 number in today's keynote came from). It just never really caught on here, which is why banks have scaled back issuing NFC cards in recent years.

But just tapping physical NFC cards is not nearly as safe as something like Apple Pay, since there is no verification that the person who taps the card is actually the account holder. That's why there is a low transaction limit for signature-less tap transactions. Systems like Google Wallet and Apple Pay, on the other hand, require authentication by the user on the mobile (either through a PIN in case of Google Wallet, or via biometrics in the case of Apple Pay). Hence, no transaction limits (up to the card's credit limit, of course).

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Paywave/Paypass have actually been available for many years in the US, and there is already a significant installed base of NFC-enabled POS terminals (which is where the 220,000 number in today's keynote came from). It just never really caught on here, which is why banks have scaled back issuing NFC cards in recent years.

But just tapping physical NFC cards is not nearly as safe as something like Apple Pay, since there is no verification that the person who taps the card is actually the account holder. That's why there is a low transaction limit for signature-less tap transactions. Systems like Google Wallet and Apple Pay, on the other hand, require authentication by the user on the mobile (either through a PIN in case of Google Wallet, or via biometrics in the case of Apple Pay). Hence, no transaction limits (up to the card's credit limit, of course).
lol, I've never ever seen any payWave or PayPass terminals in the US and I'm there twice per month!

Banks provide guarantees against unauthorized transactions if you notify them. Our NFC limit in Canada is about $200. Beyond that, we have to use chip and pin.

Still, the Apple system looks really cumbersome and slow and it would be a step backwards for me.

jun180

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010

I'm not sure how it's done in North America, but in Australia all tap & pay transactions have a $100 limit and all banks guarantee to refund any unauthorised tap & pay transaction very easily. For any transaction over $100, a normal pin is used.

The theory being that purchases over $100 are 'significant' and require more formal authentication (via pin numbers). Tap & Pay transactions under $100 are marketed for the convenience with low value, high volume transactions that don't need rigorous security (e.g. paying for a newspaper, coffee).

I think the Apple Pay method is good start, but seems like a painful process to setup (having to go to a bank for authorisation) and offers no additional 'safety' benefits than using a normal NFC chip credit/debit card or NFC enabled android smarthphone with tap & pay banking apps.

eichwulf

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
Apple watch shows you in the morning where you are in the world. That's only useful after a night out of heavy drinking.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I am disappointed that Apple went the NFC route, they have a much better and more interactive and engaging experience with iBeacon. NFC requires a very close proximity to the POS terminal, while iBeacon is very secure, and can be used within farther distances. iBeacon also supports push notifications.

It's about using the technology that is already in shops. It couldn't be a success if it meant stores had to go out of their way to implement it. Those with contact less card equipment are ready for Apple Pay already.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
You still need lug around these debit cards and credit cards. Because not every where accept phone payment and certainly banks won't take it when you need withdraw cashes or make money orders... or deposit money or cheques into your account

This is true... Here's how I see it:

Day 1: You have :apple:Pay, and you go to Subway, Burger King, and Target. You have to whip out the credit card to pay at BK. (congrats, BTW!)

Day 100: BK notices that people at McDonalds are paying with their :apple:Pay, and decides to make the move to it.

Day 1000: More often than not, you see stickers on major chains, and a few small stores with the :apple:Pay (like the stickers for Visa/MC/AMEX) on the window, and a similar store without it (let's just say you're at the mall, and the stores are across from each other, and it's Christmastime, and there are 3 registers, one with :apple:Pay, and two for traditional transactions). You're now comfortable with paying this way, and I'd be willing to bet that most people would choose the store with the :apple:Pay sticker.

Anyway, that's how I see it. Slow at first, then compelling.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
If all you have to do to add your card to the Apple Pay system is to take a picture of your credit card, what's preventing your waiter or bartender from doing the same thing with your card? It sounds like it just got a lot riskier to use your credit card in public.

There is an authentication step (they send you some kind of PIN to type in, like iCloud 2 factor authentication), plus that card theft could be tracked on their phone (if that's what you meant, they just add your card to their passbook).

As it stands now, if they were to take a picture of your card, and make a bunch of online purchases (i.e., get your ID, so they can use your address as a "bill to" and a different "ship to" address) before you'd ever know.

With the phone method, I see it as safer, especially with the authentication, plus the one time use of the pseudo-cards.

----------

Maybe I missed it or maybe it is in another video, but I would like to see what happens if you use the wrong fingerprint with Touch ID. What is the error message.

Also is it linked to all the fingerprints you have stored in TouchID or is it only linked to a certain one. Just seeing if, lets say, someone and their wife could put both their fingerprints so that way both of them can use the phone pay. Or maybe you can select which one it uses? Maybe I missed it somewhere but has anyone heard about these?

I missed that too. We use both of our fingerprints (either one) to unlock her 5s. On the 19th, we will set up my 6+ with both of ours and see if it works with either one of us. I'm thinking it's two different systems, using this algorithm:

1. Prompt to pay for something
2. Establish NFC connection
3. Prompt for CC (if there are multiple ones)
4. Prompt for authorization (finger print on TouchID - any fingerprint stored in it will work... which will be interesting for those that live in shared living arrangements)
5. Complete transaction
6. Close NFC connection

----------

Although Apple Pay will be convenient if it becomes accepted everywhere, I don't want to use it if it means Apple earns money off every transaction I make just for allowing me to pay with my phone or watch.

Yes, if you're really against interchange fees you should pay with cash but the convenience of Apple Pay is not worth helping Apple create another revenue stream.

I'm almost positive that if/when you go to work, you earn money for the service that you provide to your customer/boss/owner/whatever. Even the people on the side of the road with their signs provide a service, "guilt avoidance."

So, if you're really against people making money (think about that expression... up until 250 years ago, money was traded, and now it's "made" - amazing), I'd start at home, and refuse money for your services.

As for Apple, Google, Microsoft, (insert the name of the company that you absolutely despise. I think I have it with those 3 on this forum), if they provide me a service, I'll pay them. Otherwise, I'll take my money elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.