Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
And do you know why Samsung, Motorola, and Google have smart watches? Because a while back they heard a rumor that Apple was making one... :eek:

It's THIS THREAD ALL OVER AGAIN. Apple can't innovate, Apple just builds "me-too" products, too expensive, gimmicky, etc etc-- except back then it was all Steve Jobs' fault...

I find it amazing the amount of posters saying Samsung have rushed out a smartwatch just because there are rumours of Apple releasing on.

Samsung released the first WatchPhone back in 1999 called the SPH-WP10

wp10_520x346.jpg

Samsung also released a WatchPhone in France during 2009, called the S9110

s9110-2_520x346.jpg

The sleek S9110 is a mere 11.98mm thick thanks to the company’s advanced surface mounting technology, making it the slimmest watchphone device in the market. Featuring a 1.76” full touch screen customized for the wrist-watch form factor, the S9110 aims to attract mobile phone users who want a unique fashion item that keeps them connected on the go. The device also enables the users to check their e-mail seamlessly through Outlook.

In 1999, Samsung introduced the world’s first watch phone, the SPH-WP10, which became a landmark product in the mobile industry. The S9110 will be available in France this month for around 450 Euros.

Bet lets not let facts get in the way eh?! :rolleyes:

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
It was already late for Apple to jump on the running bandwagon ... but finally they did and they did it right. Personally, I like Apple products but I was not shy to buy a Moto 360 and check out if Android could not do the phone job for me as well. Now I'll wait.

I'm not religious when it comes to technology.

I want a watch. My previous two "Swiss pieces" died. For the service / repair costs I can buy probably 4-6 Apple "Steel" or even more other brand Smartwatches. This is why a conventional - good quality - watch is no reference for me anymore and ( currently ) out of scope. I'll go for a Smartwatch, even when I'll be an early adopter. What I miss is that the watch is not waterproof. Battery life ? We will see ...

Last edited:

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Lets see, you critique others for commenting on the looks without having seen on in real life... then proceed to to claim it looks good...

Haha, yeah, and I also mentioned that the crown seemed strange. But complaints about fit, finish, and performance was what I said. So many early comments were complaining about performance.

----------

No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.

Fair points. I'm not surprised at the required integration with an iPhone though. Closed ecosystem is the name of the game. It'll be interesting to see if/how it gets opened up in future versions.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I will definitely be waiting on a redesign. I hate to say this because I love Apple but Samsung's watches look much nicer than this.

Hmmmm!! I have the gear fit and I can honestly tell you that after looking at the Apple watch, gear fit looks really cheap and low quality.

----------

Hey guys, Google here. Today we are pleased to announce a revolutionary new product category. This amazing device was designed from the ground up be worn on your wrist. It has a magnificent circular touchscreen, the first of its kind. Truly magical. In terms of design, our goal was to create an elegant fashion accessory that wouldn't look out of place alongside premium Swiss timepieces. We're extremely proud of what we came up with, and we think that our customers are absolutely going to love it.

Introducing the Moto 360:

MEANWHILE AT APPLE

Your comment (even though highly thumbed up) will get on the MacRumors history book of must hilarious/silly comments made pre/during a new category product launch. :D

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
What he said. Never seen so many armchair engineers and industrial designers who are sniveling and complaining about a new product that so far anyone who has actually seen it in person, has nothing but praise for the design, workmanship and features. When the AppleWatch sells its 10,000,000 unit, will be fun to come back here and laugh at all of your comments.

I hope you'll keep doing the lord's work when this very same thing happens when a competitor releases a device.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Will it though? I really don't see professionals in the business world buying this on a massive scale. I don't see students in college buying this on a massive scale, it is neither cool nor practical enough of a device to warrant widespread adoption..

People keep comparing it to other watches--but only a small percentage of people wear watches anymore. I see this more as a punchline than a hit product

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
That's actually quite annoying, I even searched the Google and Macrumors forums about this. How do I count 5 exact seconds (let's say for an experiment) with the linear sweeping motion ?
I know the Watch and the ios7 clock has also numbers or chronograph, but how do I do it by watching the seconds hand motion ?
How do I do it with an automatic ?

It's easier with a seconds hand which has the ability to count ..ahem.. exact round seconds.

I'm not condoning the Moto, I think it's way too big, but of course something that probably could be easily fixed with a line of code, can't be bad very bad.

Wow. And in a very,very bad way.

This is the first time I notice but the 360 ticks. View 41 seconds into that clip.

The Apple watch sweeps the second hand; emulating a mechanical automatic watch. That is a big turn-off on the Moto 360 but I assume Google can fix that in software.

Now watch the reveal of the Apple watch. Look at the .46 time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q2gH1PGTrg

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
That's actually quite annoying, I even searched the Google and Macrumors forums about this. How do I count 5 exact seconds (let's say for an experiment) with the linear sweeping motion ?
I know the Watch and the ios7 clock has also numbers or chronograph, but how do I do it by watching the seconds hand motion ?
How do I do it with an automatic ?

It's easier with a seconds hand which has the ability to count ..ahem.. exact round seconds.

I'm not condoning the Moto, I think it's way too big, but of course something that probably could be easily fixed with a line of code, can't be bad very bad.

That is the BIGGEST appeal of a mechanical watch. The sweeping hands.

The Ticking is annoying and is a hallmark of a quartz. How do you count? By looking at the markers. Thats how you do it with an analogue watch. A good design watch has a well design dials with visible markers.

You train your eyes to even see fractional seconds. I can see 1/10th of a second.

Cigsm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
New to Apple? Apple did the same thing with that little new device called iPad and did it again with the Mac Pro.

To top it off, Apple made the most un-Apple move and previewed without releasing. Yeah, they did it with the Mac Pro, but that was a professional level device which sales were not dependant on hype, but instead relied on a solid base of tested and supported apps, which the lead-time allowed for. This watch is a consumer product, and Apple have taken a (bad) page out of all other tech companies' books and previewed miles before the release. To top it off, nothing irritates me, and I'm sure others, more than when a company says "Spring 2015" and releases on the last day of the season, it just looks bad and Apple made that error with the thin iMacs and the Mac Pro; I fear they will do it here too.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
So much money they invested on this crap that could have made sapphire iPhone with liquid metal or maybe a Retina iMac etc.

Why you have to follow the followers Apple...?

we miss you Steve!

I guess you weren't around when people made the same negative comments about iPods, iPhones and iPads.

And you do realize that Google, Samsung, LG, Moto, etc. scrambled to get a watch out knowing Apple was entering the category and not the other way around, right?

----------

All these negative comments remind me of the iPod, iPhone and iPad launches. So many people just don't get it.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I'm confused....what are we deciding? The :apple:Watch looks nothing like either of those.....

I guess my comment wasn't clear. I was trying to imply the Apple Watch looks like a cheap 1980's Dick Tracy plastic watch. The prototype I presented looks like the watch I would have envisioned the Apple Watch to look like.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I guess my comment wasn't clear. I was trying to imply the Apple Watch looks like a cheap 1980's Dick Tracy plastic watch. The prototype I presented looks like the watch I would have envisioned the Apple Watch to look like.

In what universe does the :apple:watch look like that cheap toy?

If you don't like the design, just say so. Cut the hyperbole.

I'm sure when you all see this thing in person, many of you will change your tune. It'll only get thinner and sleeker with time.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
In what universe does the :apple:watch look like that cheap toy?

If you don't like the design, just say so. Cut the hyperbole.

I'm sure when you all see this thing in person, many of you will change your tune. It'll only get thinner and sleeker with time.

What are you, the MacRumors hall monitor? I'll post how I want :cool:

Moving on....I smell a troll...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.