Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
After a long week, I finally got some time to play with the new 2021 MacBook Pro at the Apple store earlier this evening. During my time there they certainly had a few folks checking them out and potential customers interested in buying one right then and there. But, reception felt reserved among those checking them out, more curiosity than I really need this. The table contained a mix of M1 Air and Pro as well as the new models. Last year I became the proud owner of the MacBook Pro M1 and I can tell you right now, if you bought it and have been happy with it for the past year, you really don’t need to even think about these new MacBook Pro’s unless you are the target audience.

ECE7CD7F-ECE1-449B-A26B-D55FB344594D.jpeg

Over the past week, I have observed a number of threads from owners of the new MacBook Pro who come across as buyers remorse than actually needing this as a tool to do work. I can assure you the 2021 MacBook Pro’s is not for me, but watching every YouTube review and unboxing or reading every thread that pops up, would trigger the sensation that you gotta have this too. But its amazing when you go to the store, play with it as I did, feel it, interact with, use the apps, listen the audio, watch the 4K video on the gorgeous Promotion display, I immediately came to the conclusion this is overkill for the common man or woman.

64A34447-93C0-495A-BC3D-803571F549B6.jpeg

The demo units on display were just the M1 Pro models, which could probably suggest the chip shortage might be even affecting whats available in the store. During my time playing with the new MacBook Pro’s I listened in on a customers interest in picking up the 16 inch. I got some really surprising information from the conversation between the store rep and the customer. I was particularly impressed with how realistic the employee was with the customer, asking questions about their type of work, what are they planning on doing with the device and what are they currently using.

A77086E6-D154-479F-8571-EB6F8B5DDCE4.jpeg

The customer seemed to be in impulse buy mode and wanted to throw as much cash as possible on what would we be a BTO model which was not in the store. He came with all the lyrics: I want 32 GBs (can I get that), I want 1 TB (can I get that), I want the Pro Max (can I get that)? The customers wife, not having a clue about all this seemed bored and out of place. The Apple employee said, unless you are doing a lot of video editing and playing games (I chuckled) would you need the Pro Max.

He asked, so how often do you edit photos? He replied, once per week using an unsure tone. To cut things short, the customer really didn’t know what they wanted, but was insisting on a specced out model. When he realized it was not in store and he would have to order online, the need seem to diminish. The Apple rep asked one last question, what are currently using? He responded, an 11 inch MacBook Air with 256 GBs. The rep continued to engage then asked would you like to place the order for the model he wanted and have it delivered to his home? He said, he would like to pick it up at the store, but the rep said thats not an option. Then he started asking about options to finance it. I didn’t listen much after that, but ultimately, he said he is gonna order it at home, think on it a little bit more.

My conclusion from this is sometimes we need to take a step back, go to the store, play with it a bit and get off that high of wanting to buy immediately after an event. Don’t get me wrong, if money is not an option and you can afford it and you want to treat yourself; go ahead. But, don’t put yourself in debt to have something that obviously will be of minimal use. That customers theory as to why he wanted such a specced out model is because he plans on keeping this for 15 years. Yeah, right!

As for my adventure, I did some ridiculous comparisons, but first, my experience with the 2021 MacBook Pro. Its, ok, I guess and I did spend quality time with it, lifting it up, feeling the aluminum texture, closing and opening the lid. Its naturally heavy, not unbearable heavy (this was the 16 inch by the way). It is a big device, but wouldn’t consider it too big to walk around with it. I airdropped a photo from my phone over to it and played around with it a bit in Affinity Photo editor. I didn’t do any bench marks, YouTube has all the answers to that, this was more of a hands on experience.

I brought a couple older PowerBook G4 devices to the store with me for comparison purposes, because this seemed to be the big talk when persons see the devices. To be honest, they are not that much alike, there is some DNA there, but thats about it. Grandpa in the middle there (Titanium). The 2021 16 inch is slightly bigger that both the 2001 and 2005 PowerBooks in the image below.

FC6485DC-2267-44BC-BFEF-0EF6DEC59A8E.jpeg

It certainly isn’t the same height or weight as you can see below.

CEB885BB-77DA-47E4-BC15-DDD52EAEB539.jpeg

And the port selection is spartan but sane. Magsafe worked pretty much like it did on my 2015 MacBook Pro and its a welcome feature that anyone coming from a 2015 or earlier will appreciate. Unplugging the USB C cable from M1 can be stubborn sometimes. If you bought one of these, I would surely say goodbye to USB C charging even though the option is there. I never really used the SD card reader, but I appreciate having HDMI since its used lot in the environments I work in.

8456505C-D424-4908-A358-7C7084D2CA3B.jpeg

Below are some more photos I took of the 2021 MacBook Pro and a 2005 Aluminum PowerBook G4. The finishes are definitely different, the older ancestor uses a slightly darker tone while the 2021 is much lighter and vibrant.

B33DAD88-5D42-4B4D-BB6A-82A2F0490606.jpeg

We sure have come a long was from days of modem, express card slot, audio in and out and USB 2.0.

0BA6E73E-AB48-43CB-AD2C-CE328445D5A2.jpeg

I’m still disappointed we didn’t see a return of the combo drive (sarcasm). Apple I believed went through the past 20 years of notebook designs and just sprinkled a tiny bit of each generation into the new models. The keyboard and display looks more like the (2008 to 2009) unibody generation, while the deck is much thicker version of the 2012 to 2015 design.

2DA4558A-D82E-4832-AFA4-8732C48680EA.jpeg

Yesterday meets tomorrow.

BC57FA37-F78D-4CC9-9D11-BB77C357A808.jpeg

But it certainly is still thinner than its ancestors.

The display, OMG the display! You really need the videos to see this thing and you need good 4K video to really have the Pro Motion display pull you in. If you really want a portable laptop with the best display out there, this is it! I swear Macaw was 3D, the skin on its face looked so real, I swear I could touch it!

97A0104D-03FC-4668-8099-81A13BF84074.jpeg

The plummage was so vibrant and radiant its like I was actually looking at these two birds in real life. Apple outdid themselves here. Again, you won’t be disappointed with the display.

CC42AF84-78A1-4A79-8E49-B79B385A2E9A.jpeg

I tried playing a trailer, but it didn’t look as good but I think its just because the trailer was 1080p.

701D1197-7BC2-49D4-B51A-0A1047E95F33.jpeg

Audio was difficult to confirm if was really good, but I played Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough and I was surprised how much the bass, mids, highs and lows cut through the loud store. DSTYGE is cabal of various instruments layered with Michael’s voice, which is sharp and beautiful. It really stood out and across clear and enjoyable and didn’t even max it out much. You really don’t need external speakers if you have this.

51430D9E-6C22-43D5-9FF8-3EBF93BB25C2.jpeg

Again, that gorgeous display will sell anyone on this device. Typing was ok, nothing to write home about (no pun). But I personally think its a cross between the M1 MBP and the iPad Smart Keyboard. The good thing is, typed out a paragraph with hardly any errors. As you can see, this is an older version of Word for Office 365 thats running on 2021. Apparently Apple is not into upgrading its subs, but if you want to see how the full screen behaves, with the menu bar, it handles it well and I like it too. The global menu darkens and provides a slick look with focus on the application.

93F3E545-E8A0-4604-A60B-994506655EC9.jpeg

If you place a window in the Notch area, it automatically will push the app window down. So, there is no way for the Notch to get in the way of your apps. My short time with the device I hardly noticed it.

So, thats might conclusion based on my short time with it. Is it a recommended upgrade? If you are the target audience yes (video editor, photo editor, software developer, STEM). Editing photos once per week, you don’t need this or 14 inch, its overkill. In fact, I think if you have a 2015 to early 2020 Intel MacBook Pro and you just use it for occasional video editing, web browsing (even with lots of tabs), light photo editing, you could easily skip this or consider a cheaper option like last years M1 Pro or Air. But if you want a laptop with a significantly gorgeous display and something that could easily take you to the end of the decade, go for it.

ACFCAA3F-B4C5-4E04-AB0A-4E72B2D1AFA6.jpeg

As for me, I’ll keep enjoying my M1 MacBook Pro and wait until 2025 grab one of these with M5 Pro Max Wax.

Attachments

• F0530AAD-0D74-4983-A14B-40CFFE782CB0.jpeg
    F0530AAD-0D74-4983-A14B-40CFFE782CB0.jpeg
    338 KB · Views: 177
  • 5EE2BC13-E3E7-4745-A6ED-AD24F3F73944.jpeg
    5EE2BC13-E3E7-4745-A6ED-AD24F3F73944.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 170
  • FCE4B373-AB82-42A9-9D73-C640D4B19EF9.jpeg
    FCE4B373-AB82-42A9-9D73-C640D4B19EF9.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 188
  • 6709E5AF-90ED-4FBE-B64D-A1D518F2E351.jpeg
    6709E5AF-90ED-4FBE-B64D-A1D518F2E351.jpeg
    464.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Very nice review and I love the photos.

My only critique is that it gets tiring hearing the same old "Don't buy this unless you do this" rhetoric. Just let people buy what they want.
And I certainly emphasized that, if you can afford it, buy it, just don't put yourself in debt to have it. Even if you meet the target audience, you don't necessarily need to have a high configuration. I certainly would buy it if I didn't purchase the MacBook Pro M1 last year even though I would just use 20% of its capabilities. But, the Apple store exist for a reason and if you live in close proximity to one or even a third party retailer liker Costco or Best Buy, its worth actually going there, spending some time with it before you buy one. The amount of buyers remorse, its disappointing threads I have read so far could have been resolved if the user spent the time to actually go test drive it.

Also, affects it have on our planet and the supply chain and return to store policies is not good either.

Reactions: agent mac

AFK

Suspended
Oct 31, 2021
the metaverse
My only critique is that it gets tiring hearing the same old "Don't buy this unless you do this" rhetoric. Just let people buy what they want.

I don't understand the criticism. He said a completely sensible thing.

I know there may be review fatigue after consuming way too many reviews and hearing everyone say this, but that's not the reviewers' or OP's fault.

People are free to spend their money how they want. And the OP is free to review the computer however he wants.

• Love
Reactions: Mr. Dee

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I don't understand the criticism. He said a completely sensible thing.

I know there may be review fatigue after consuming way too many reviews and hearing everyone say this, but that's not the reviewers' or OP's fault.

People are free to spend their money how they want. And the OP is free to review the computer however he wants.

And I’m free to comment on it how I want. Its also a fair critique to say we didn’t need to hear for the 1 millionth time “If you aren’t doing this type of work then you don’t need this machine.” People already know that.

Reactions: cjk15 and 3Rock

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
After a long week, I finally got some time to play with the new 2021 MacBook Pro at the Apple store earlier this evening. During my time there they certainly had a few folks checking them out and potential customers interested in buying one right then and there. But, reception felt reserved among those checking them out, more curiosity than I really need this. The table contained a mix of M1 Air and Pro as well as the new models. Last year I became the proud owner of the MacBook Pro M1 and I can tell you right now, if you bought it and have been happy with it for the past year, you really don’t need to even think about these new MacBook Pro’s unless you are the target audience.

View attachment 1884852

Over the past week, I have observed a number of threads from owners of the new MacBook Pro who come across as buyers remorse than actually needing this as a tool to do work. I can assure you the 2021 MacBook Pro’s is not for me, but watching every YouTube review and unboxing or reading every thread that pops up, would trigger the sensation that you gotta have this too. But its amazing when you go to the store, play with it as I did, feel it, interact with, use the apps, listen the audio, watch the 4K video on the gorgeous Promotion display, I immediately came to the conclusion this is overkill for the common man or woman.

View attachment 1884850

The demo units on display were just the M1 Pro models, which could probably suggest the chip shortage might be even affecting whats available in the store. During my time playing with the new MacBook Pro’s I listened in on a customers interest in picking up the 16 inch. I got some really surprising information from the conversation between the store rep and the customer. I was particularly impressed with how realistic the employee was with the customer, asking questions about their type of work, what are they planning on doing with the device and what are they currently using.

View attachment 1884845

The customer seemed to be in impulse buy mode and wanted to throw as much cash as possible on what would we be a BTO model which was not in the store. He came with all the lyrics: I want 32 GBs (can I get that), I want 1 TB (can I get that), I want the Pro Max (can I get that)? The customers wife, not having a clue about all this seemed bored and out of place. The Apple employee said, unless you are doing a lot of video editing and playing games (I chuckled) would you need the Pro Max.

He asked, so how often do you edit photos? He replied, once per week using an unsure tone. To cut things short, the customer really didn’t know what they wanted, but was insisting on a specced out model. When he realized it was not in store and he would have to order online, the need seem to diminish. The Apple rep asked one last question, what are currently using? He responded, an 11 inch MacBook Air with 256 GBs. The rep continued to engage then asked would you like to place the order for the model he wanted and have it delivered to his home? He said, he would like to pick it up at the store, but the rep said thats not an option. Then he started asking about options to finance it. I didn’t listen much after that, but ultimately, he said he is gonna order it at home, think on it a little bit more.

My conclusion from this is sometimes we need to take a step back, go to the store, play with it a bit and get off that high of wanting to buy immediately after an event. Don’t get me wrong, if money is not an option and you can afford it and you want to treat yourself; go ahead. But, don’t put yourself in debt to have something that obviously will be of minimal use. That customers theory as to why he wanted such a specced out model is because he plans on keeping this for 15 years. Yeah, right!

As for my adventure, I did some ridiculous comparisons, but first, my experience with the 2021 MacBook Pro. Its, ok, I guess and I did spend quality time with it, lifting it up, feeling the aluminum texture, closing and opening the lid. Its naturally heavy, not unbearable heavy (this was the 16 inch by the way). It is a big device, but wouldn’t consider it too big to walk around with it. I airdropped a photo from my phone over to it and played around with it a bit in Affinity Photo editor. I didn’t do any bench marks, YouTube has all the answers to that, this was more of a hands on experience.

I brought a couple older PowerBook G4 devices to the store with me for comparison purposes, because this seemed to be the big talk when persons see the devices. To be honest, they are not that much alike, there is some DNA there, but thats about it. Grandpa in the middle there (Titanium). The 2021 16 inch is slightly bigger that both the 2001 and 2005 PowerBooks in the image below.

View attachment 1884843

View attachment 1884841

And the port selection is spartan but sane. Magsafe worked pretty much like it did on my 2015 MacBook Pro and its a welcome feature that anyone coming from a 2015 or earlier will appreciate. Unplugging the USB C cable from M1 can be stubborn sometimes. If you bought one of these, I would surely say goodbye to USB C charging even though the option is there. I never really used the SD card reader, but I appreciate having HDMI since its used lot in the environments I work in.

View attachment 1884848

Below are some more photos I took of the 2021 MacBook Pro and a 2005 Aluminum PowerBook G4. The finishes are definitely different, the older ancestor uses a slightly darker tone while the 2021 is much lighter and vibrant.

View attachment 1884844

We sure have come a long was from days of modem, express card slot, audio in and out and USB 2.0.

View attachment 1884847

I’m still disappointed we didn’t see a return of the combo drive (sarcasm). Apple I believed went through the past 20 years of notebook designs and just sprinkled a tiny bit of each generation into the new models. The keyboard and display looks more like the (2008 to 2009) unibody generation, while the deck is much thicker version of the 2012 to 2015 design.

View attachment 1884849

View attachment 1884846

The display, OMG the display! You really need the videos to see this thing and you need good 4K video to really have the Pro Motion display pull you in. If you really want a portable laptop with the best display out there, this is it! I swear Macaw was 3D, the skin on its face looked so real, I swear I could touch it!

View attachment 1884838

The plummage was so vibrant and radiant its like I was actually looking at these two birds in real life. Apple outdid themselves here. Again, you won’t be disappointed with the display.

View attachment 1884839

I tried playing a trailer, but it didn’t look as good but I think its just because the trailer was 1080p.

View attachment 1884837

Audio was difficult to confirm if was really good, but I played Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough and I was surprised how much the bass, mids, highs and lows cut through the loud store. DSTYGE is cabal of various instruments layered with Michael’s voice, which is sharp and beautiful. It really stood out and across clear and enjoyable and didn’t even max it out much. You really don’t need external speakers if you have this.

View attachment 1884836

Again, that gorgeous display will sell anyone on this device. Typing was ok, nothing to write home about (no pun). But I personally think its a cross between the M1 MBP and the iPad Smart Keyboard. The good thing is, typed out a paragraph with hardly any errors. As you can see, this is an older version of Word for Office 365 thats running on 2021. Apparently Apple is not into upgrading its subs, but if you want to see how the full screen behaves, with the menu bar, it handles it well and I like it too. The global menu darkens and provides a slick look with focus on the application.

View attachment 1884834

If you place a window in the Notch area, it automatically will push the app window down. So, there is no way for the Notch to get in the way of your apps. My short time with the device I hardly noticed it.

View attachment 1884832

So, thats might conclusion based on my short time with it. Is it a recommended upgrade? If you are the target audience yes (video editor, photo editor, software developer, STEM). Editing photos once per week, you don’t need this or 14 inch, its overkill. In fact, I think if you have a 2015 to early 2020 Intel MacBook Pro and you just use it for occasional video editing, web browsing (even with lots of tabs), light photo editing, you could easily skip this or consider a cheaper option like last years M1 Pro or Air. But if you want a laptop with a significantly gorgeous display and something that could easily take you to the end of the decade, go for it.

View attachment 1884831

As for me, I’ll keep enjoying my M1 MacBook Pro and wait until 2025 grab one of these with M5 Pro Max Wax.
Excellent review. Thank you for all your effort and time. You are probably saving many non-Pros thousands of dollars. I went to an Apple Store the other day and returned both the 14 and 16. When the receptionist asked why, I said it's too thick and heavy, and he nodded and said "say no more".

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Done. You the one getting annoyed for no good reason.

I wasn’t annoyed, I just simply said that I didn’t know that anyone needs to hear again that a computer called “MacBook Pro” is for a Pro user.

Reactions: 3Rock

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I wasn’t annoyed, I just simply said that I didn’t know that anyone needs to hear again that a computer called “MacBook Pro” is for a Pro user.
John Ternus did say in the presentation, if you just want the worlds best notebook, yes, you qualify. What I probably could clarify in review, if you want to have it, you don’t really need max out the specs as the guy I overheard. The base model 16 inch model thats in the store would be more than enough coming from a MacBook Air. The store rep was helping him make a sound decision about what would be suitable. He wanted 32 GBs RAM and a Pro Max to edit photos once a week. The money he would be spending on the $3,400 model he could save that $800 for the 2023 model, sell the 2021 model at a 1,000 dollar lost and put profit plus the 800 towards the new and better model surely coming in the future.

Reactions: agent mac

agent mac

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2007
Excellent review. Thank you for all your effort and time. You are probably saving many non-Pros thousands of dollars. I went to an Apple Store the other day and returned both the 14 and 16. When the receptionist asked why, I said it's too thick and heavy, and he nodded and said "say no more".
no disrespect meant, Flap flap, but why did you buy both sizes? couldn’t you have tried them out in a store? And surely, buying them on a trial basis is slightly abusing apple’s returns policy, isn’t it? It’s no wonder these things are so expensive….Apple can’t just put them back on the shelf so there’s a real cost involved in their restocking process.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
The comparison photos showing the new MacBook Pros next to the vintage models that the current design pays homage to was such a pleasure to see, especially after hearing about these comparisons for weeks. Great job!

This generation of MacBook Pros are definitely an ultra modern take on vintage PowerBooks. And, seeing just how mega-thick and bulky those PowerBooks were really puts things into perspective.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
no disrespect meant, Flap flap, but why did you buy both sizes? couldn’t you have tried them out in a store? And surely, buying them on a trial basis is slightly abusing apple’s returns policy, isn’t it? It’s no wonder these things are so expensive….Apple can’t just put them back on the shelf so there’s a real cost involved in their restocking process.
the 14 day return period is there for a reason. these devices are thousands of dollars so it is meant for the buyer to fully test it out. I wanted to see how each would fit on my desk, the scaling and resolution options it provides when connected my 34 inch 5K2K display, how it felt when using it on my couch, bed, dining table, etc., real world battery tests for my use case, etc.

Reactions: snipr125

GoodGuy313

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Loving the pictures of the old ones side by side with the 2021 model. Like you said, seems like Apple took a bit of previous generations and came up with this ‘new’ design. Regarding your experience on the store, I can relate. I have some work colleagues who are not tech savvy and still just want to go overboard with purchasing max spec’d models just because they want to keep it for 10 years making Word documents.

But alas, if money is not an issue, then by all means go for it.

Ceege

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2018
Wherever I’m needed.

View attachment 1884852

View attachment 1884850

View attachment 1884845

View attachment 1884843

View attachment 1884841

View attachment 1884848

View attachment 1884844

View attachment 1884847

View attachment 1884849

View attachment 1884846

View attachment 1884838

View attachment 1884839

View attachment 1884837

View attachment 1884836

View attachment 1884834

View attachment 1884832

View attachment 1884831

One of the best posts I've seen on this site! Excellent. Thank you.

wkw

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
Thanks for this post OP. I am sticking with my mid 2015 base 15". These new laptops look pretty spiffy however and if I needed a new Mac I would be buying one.

samkomer1999

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2021
Anyone who needs or prefers a larger screen MacBook doesn't have any choice but to go with MBP 16 inch. May be Apple will come out with a 16 inch MacBook Air someday to fill that gap. These new MBPs seem to be targeted truly for people who do graphics work and may be also for folks doing software development like myself. My mid 2015 13" MBP still running fine except occasional shutdowns, especially sometimes if I connect two external monitors. Wanted a larger screen MacBook. I may not ever use the full power of the new 16" 2021 MBP, but who knows.

Reactions: usmaak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.