Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Just thought I'd ask what commands you thought up which surprised you in their effectiveness.

I just told Siri "I don't like this song".

Siri responded with a "Ok, I'll remember that" & proceeded to automatically skip the track.

Nice little 'kill two birds with one stone' moment.

(I've also mentioned elsewhere that asking what the track name was, what album it's from & what year it was released all returned accurate responses from Siri).

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
You do realize that AirPods have no different Siri commands, right? When I'm listening to music I tell Siri to raise the temperature in my house.

Reactions: nathanalf

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Well, personally, i've never been forced to use Siri whilst listening to music before these Airpods came along, so it's kind of a new experience for me.

& I was just trying to see what other people have discovered. Others, who may also be new to using Siri when listening to music.

Reactions: SR71

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Good thread idea.

You can say this is too loud and she'll reduce the volume appropriately. You can also easily go to your preferred volume by saying change the volume to 78% and it'll change to exactly that.

These aren't new commands but they've become more relevant given a new device which relies almost entirely on Siri voice control.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Good thread idea.

You can say this is too loud and she'll reduce the volume appropriately. You can also easily go to your preferred volume by saying change the volume to 78% and it'll change to exactly that.

These aren't new commands but they've become more relevant given a new device which relies almost entirely on Siri voice control.
And you can get a reference saying 'What is my current volume set to'

Reactions: cosmic68

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Good thread idea.

Yeah the "set volume xx%" is a key command. My other most used is "skip".

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yeah the "set volume xx%" is a key command. My other most used is "skip".

Sweet! I hadn't known of all these kinds of commands as their not really suggested. Funny I'll bet most iOS users think of Siri as a digital PDA so we speak to it as such and think of it as such. Our OP spoke to Siri as a person and it reacted in kind. Very kindly actually.

So I'm curiuos ... if "Hey Siri" enabled, why doesn't the AirPod's work in real time as such so that Siri can work without the double-tap that also pauses music. Maybe also disabling vocal feedback such commands like "I don't like this song" when playback of a playlist is in play, maybe Siri will just act and complete a command and music playback will continue. Same with a voice call - which would be more effective and conducive to a live conversation and not distracted.

Personally I feel if Apple tested a motorocylce rider with a headset using Siri on a closed track/circuit and worked out kinks this would drastically improve not only against distracted driving in Car Play but Siri overall.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
That's exactly how it should work. Like the AppleWatch, I think Apple is going to see how people use it and then adjust to their use.

I'd rather the double tap and a triple tap be given to next track and previous track. AirPods can detect vibration in your jaw so that should prompt it to pay attention to what you're saying. Hey Siri should be enough to launch Siri since you'll be talking to her anyway. There should be no need to tap, wait for a prompt and speak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.