Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virtual

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Brazil
Hi, I turned my Macbook on this morning. Everything initially went fine, you have the sounds of machine checking the CD drive, but there was no startup sound--I dont have the volume on mute, so it should have chimed. Prior to the grey screen with the Apple logo the screen was off for about 5-10 seconds.

I just tried turning off and on again and it did the same thing. Anyone know what this might be? :s

Thanks.

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
i suspect POST failure.

This means that the system detected an error on startup, and thus will not continue to boot. Most often attributed to firmware or hardware problems. You should send it to Apple for servicing.

virtual

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Brazil
Once it gets to the grey screen everything is fine though, perfect in fact. I can load up applications, put it to sleep and wake it, etc.

:s

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
then its not POST failure, and i dont think you should concern yourself with it. ;)

it happened to my Macbook before: it took forever to boot, then the Apple logo comes out, the spinning ring, and then it shut off. After a 2nd attempt, the system booted up neatly.

Maybe its just a random quirk.

virtual

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Brazil
That's the thing though, I'm paranoid about computers, unfortunatly. When something goes wrong (or seems to have) with my equipment I poop myself!

This Macbook is about 18 months old, is out of warrenty now, and has never done anything strange like this before :s

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
That's the thing though, I'm paranoid about computers, unfortunatly. When something goes wrong (or seems to have) with my equipment I poop myself!

This Macbook is about 18 months old, is out of warrenty now, and has never done anything strange like this before :s

mine is 12 months old, with 2 more years thanks to APP. ;)

dont stress yourself out over it: i used to be even more paranoid than you, wondering if being a heavy user would kill my laptop shortly after 3 years. have formatted the thing 4 times as well, and well..done a lot of wierd things that would make most people cringe, like toying with the BSD kernel.

but, you know, as long as its working, its working, right? and if it isnt...well...there's always a service centre. although you should have gotten the APP: it'll give you a peace of mind for at least 2 more years.

anyway, think about it: the Macbooks are so cheap nowadays, its just a little more than 1-2 months salary. (that is if i dont give my salary back to mom and dad. ^^;) And if you have been frugal and been saving money, then you will have some cash at hand to plonk into when your notebook decides to act up. ;) (its worse for me: im still a student, so i have to scrimp and save and skip meals so that i can fulfill my dream of owning 2 Macbooks and 1 Macbook Pro. Holiday jobs dont fetch much $.)

virtual

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Brazil
mine is 12 months old, with 2 more years thanks to APP. ;)
Aye, I got my new iMac a couple months ago and brought the APP.

but, you know, as long as its working, its working, right?
Well, I just tried a restart--all went fine (chimes and all). Tried a hard reboot and all fine again. Hopefully it really was a funny five minutes.

its worse for me: im still a student, so i have to scrimp and save and skip meals so that i can fulfill my dream of owning 2 Macbooks and 1 Macbook Pro. Holiday jobs dont fetch much $.)
(-: I am a student as well, although am in my last year so decided to have no job, really focussing on my exams in 2 and a half months. Righto, back to studying, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.