Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2017
I use Windows; while my wife uses Mac. I am her IT support.

She has a 2015 27" iMac and 2019 21" iMac. 2019 has an internal fusion drive (Mojave). 2015 has an internal SSD (High Sierra) and an external TB NVMe (a clone from 2019 internal fusion drive Mojave).

I have installed DaVinci Resolve 2016 on 2019 21" iMac (Mojave) and 2015 27" iMac (High Sierra) without a problem. But I have encountered a big problem with 2015 27" iMac (Mojave). When I click & mount the dmg file, a folder opens and displays 1 install icon, 1 uninstall icon and 1 doc icon. The install icon is a generic icon. The cursor becomes the rainbow spinning cursor and stays that way. After a while, the computer hangs and sometimes it may even restart itself. When I was installing the same app on the other 2 boot disks, the cursor only spinned a bit and then the icons became custom icons and I was able to install the app. So I assume after opening the folder, Finder is trying to load the custom icons. But somehow it got stuck. I don't know how to troubleshoot this problem.

I don't think the cloning Mojave may be the cause of the problem. If so, does it mean that I need to reinstall the OS from scratch to the external drive?

Any suggestion would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.