Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
123 123

Many couples in the U.S. are getting married tomorrow because the date is 12-31-23, aka 123-123. That's another great date pattern to add to our list. If you want to get married tomorrow, you'd better get planning right now! (And if you're already married, you'll have to get a quickie divorce today in order to get re-married tomorrow.)

In RFC 822 format, but with a 2-digit year, tomorrow is 23-12-31 or 231-231, another repeated 3-digit pattern.
Only under the American format, as you observe below.

As a European, when I first started reading your post, I blinked, and had to think for a second or two, before I realised that it made sense (to an American).
By European conventions it's a less interesting date, 31-12-23 or 311-223. Europeans had a more entertaning date ten years and one month ago, when it was the palindromic date 31-11-13, or 311-113.
Yes.
Regarding American m/d/y format versus European d/m/y format, something occurs to me. The European format, with the least significant number first, has always made more logical sense than the American format, with the least significant number in the middle,
Agree completely.
yet both Americans and Europeans use the American order for personal names. Shouldn't we refer to Paul Steven Jobs instead of Steven Paul Jobs?
Most Europeans don't.

First name - which is usually (though not always) the one by which you are addressed, and are known, followed by a rarely used middle name, and then, the family name, or surname.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Or...
JOBS Steven Paul?

Jobs Steven Paul is the equivalent of the ISO 8601 date format, suitable for sorting. In that notation, tomorrow is 2023-12-31 (or 23-12-31 or 231-231).

But the whole thing is silly. Why do we make up multiple untagged ambiguous linear representations of information when we could use font size, font choice, tagging, colors (sorry, colorblind people), JSON key-value arrays, or other representations that are totally unambiguous?

With the following examples, you can change the order of the words or numbers and there's still no ambiguity!

Steven Paul Jobs
Steven Paul Jobs

["FirstName" : "Steven", "MiddleName" : "Paul", "LastName" : "Jobs" ]
["MiddleName" : "Paul", "FirstName" : "Steven", "LastName" : "Jobs" ]
["LastName" : "Jobs", "FirstName" : "Steven", "MiddleName" : "Paul" ]

31 12 2023
31 12 2023

["Day" : "31", "Month" : "12", "Year" : "2023" ]
["Month" : "12", "Day" : "31","Year" : "2023" ]
["Year" : "2023", "Month" : "12", "Day" : "31" ]

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
That's weird, the whole sequence of numbers working out this way in the US system of noting dates! I hadn't realized that. Thanks, Doctor Q, for your astute and interesting observation!

Lo these many many moons ago I spent a brief period in my professional library career as a cataloguer, (before we were working in and with digital databases, although we were verging on the cusp of that around then, but many of us didn't know it yet) and as such, quickly became accustomed to thinking of names in terms of "Jobs, Steven Paul." (with or without birth and [if available] death dates)

Now, years later, well, I have to admit, I still tend to think of names arranged precisely in that order! :D When filling out a form in which I need to list my own name I have to be careful to check before typing or manually cursively writing or printing my name to see in which way they want the listing: first name first, last name first, whatever.....

It just comes naturally to me to have my list of contacts arranged in the way which works for me (last name first, then first name and middle name or middle initial) rather than the order being something like "Steve Jobs" (not that he is or ever was in my contacts list, mind you, this was just an example!).

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
That's weird, the whole sequence of numbers working out this way in the US system of noting dates! I hadn't realized that. Thanks, Doctor Q, for your astute and interesting observation!

Lo these many many moons ago I spent a brief period in my professional library career as a cataloguer, (before we were working in and with digital databases, although we were verging on the cusp of that around then, but many of us didn't know it yet) and as such, quickly became accustomed to thinking of names in terms of "Jobs, Steven Paul." (with or without birth and [if available] death dates)

Now, years later, well, I have to admit, I still tend to think of names arranged precisely in that order! :D When filling out a form in which I need to list my own name I have to be careful to check before typing or manually cursively writing or printing my name to see in which way they want the listing: first name first, last name first, whatever.....

It just comes naturally to me to have my list of contacts arranged in the way which works for me (last name first, then first name and middle name or middle initial) rather than the order being something like "Steve Jobs" (not that he is or ever was in my contacts list, mind you, this was just an example!).
Steve Jobs I’d he was in my contact list would be Steve Apple. Like I have Steve Plumber or Steve roofer etc mostly!

Reactions: Clix Pix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.