Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
my computer did it!

it reached high tech senior citizenship

my ibook is three years old today and not once have i had to reinstall the restore disk/operating system

tomorrow, my compaq presario 1272 laptop turns three years old...the feet fell off and had to be reglued, the battery completely died nearly two years ago, and i have restore disked the computer at least seven times in that three years

btw...the pc laptop has windows 98, so that may explain some of it;)

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
That's not high tech senior citizenship jef. My laptop is 10 years old come January and it still runs like it's new.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by Durandal7
That's not high tech senior citizenship jef. My laptop is 10 years old come January and it still runs like it's new.

then tell that to microsoft and comptia who tell me my business is not up to date with them and i owe them money to use their name and logo

and tell that to the os developers who make their os for new and slightly old computer hardware;)

oh yeah, and happy 3rd for my pc:D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
talk about old...

my super-upgaded PM9600/300 was made in 1997-1998. i use it as my main home machine running X.2.3 every day. i specifically bought it last summer for this purpose when my s900 fried a PCI bridge chip (it's fixed now).

just another old mac that runs faithfully as intended. not too many pc users that have PC's from this long ago running anything up-to-date.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Re: talk about old...

Originally posted by mc68k
my super-upgaded PM9600/300 was made in 1997-1998. i use it as my main home machine running X.2.3 every day. i specifically bought it last summer for this purpose when my s900 fried a PCI bridge chip (it's fixed now).

just another old mac that runs faithfully as intended. not too many pc users that have PC's from this long ago running anything up-to-date.

my slightly older pc can only run windows 95, 98, ME, and NT

but there is no way this 150 mhz pentium desktop i have, in mothballs, can run windows xp, or even windows 2000

even my 366 mhz laptop won't run everything on windows 2000 and even that machine does not make the hardware copatibility list for windows 2000...so i uninstalled the os

macs certainly have a much longer life when it comes to software compatibility

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by edesignuk

WOW! What kind of spec does a 10yr old laptop have?

I have a friend who has a 9 year old (1994 vintage) PowerBook 520c, the first color laptop ever made. Still runs like new, and now that it's been upgraded to 8.6 (I did the upgrade), it can run IE 5 and surf the web like a champ (albeit at dial-up speeds when it's actually connected via cable modem). Crazy! That experience (and also her Beige G3 which runs OS 10.2.3 like a champ) is what convinced me to make the switch to a mac. The amazing thing is that the 520c still looks great by today's standards, too. It's small, light, and has a very cool retro-future look to it.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by edesignuk

WOW! What kind of spec does a 10yr old laptop have?

In february of 1993, Apple put out the Powerbook 165c which blazed on at 33 mhz and could hold up to 14 MB of RAM!

...and the Powerbook 160 from late-1992 went 25 mhz/14 MB RAM

...and in late-1991, Apple's first laptop, the Powerbook 100, went 16 mhz/8 MB RAM

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Yeah there reliable alright. I have a Performa from 1995 that has been used constantly, modifided, and generally screwed up, but it still runs like a charm (even with os 7)

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by jefhatfield

In february of 1993, Apple put out the Powerbook 165c which blazed on at 33 mhz and could hold up to 14 MB of RAM!

...and the Powerbook 160 from late-1992 went 25 mhz/14 MB RAM

...and in late-1991, Apple's first laptop, the Powerbook 100, went 16 mhz/8 MB RAM

Mac portable.....

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
Awesome! You have one? I sold mine a while back. That was a big mistake. They could only go up in value.

the mac portable was too heavy to be a laptop...heck, it almost weighs as much as my compaq laptop...i mean aircraft carrier:p

when i could bench 315, i think i will venture out with my laptop...but i will keep the paramedics handy

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Nobody ever said the Mac Portable was a notebook/laptop. It was just a portable Mac. Everything was in one piece, so you you could carry it from place to place, but still use it on a table or desk.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
Nobody ever said the Mac Portable was a notebook/laptop. It was just a portable Mac. Everything was in one piece, so you you could carry it from place to place, but still use it on a table or desk.

my table weighs less than the portable mac..he he

actually, for its time, it was really cool to have a computer so small

my compaq was considered light at the time in mid-99 at 7.6 lbs with its 12" inch screen

now laptops with 15" screens are lighter in weight:p

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by jefhatfield

now laptops with 15" screens are lighter in weight:p

...and toss in the adapter and it would still be lighter

...and toss in an extra battery and then i would call it even ;)

but to be fair, a thief would never consider stealing an older compaq presario laptop because he would

1) never be able to sell it
2) it would not run any new software
3) it would be too heavy for him to get very far
3.1) it's a pc
4) all of the above

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.