Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2007
Just southeast of Northwestshire

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Wow. How long did that take you to memorize?
A couple of months. I memorized a few digits at a time over one school semester, about 8th grade I think. I decided I was done when the semester was over, and I've remember exactly those 72 digits ever since.

Meanwhile, I don't know my own 9-digit zip code. I've heard rumors that it can be used to deliver mail more efficiently but how could it be important if it can't be used to compute the lateral area of a cylinder?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Meanwhile, I don't know my own 9-digit zip code. I've heard rumors that it can be used to deliver mail more efficiently but how could it be important if it can't be used to compute the lateral area of a cylinder?

I can't tell you how many times I have made the exact same point to my friends

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
I only remember enough to 5 decimal places 3.14159 it's good enough for doing carpentry work.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm sure you all noticed that this week's free Latino Single of the Week in the U.S. has a song length of 3:14. It obviously can't just be a coincidence!

Note: The song length shows as 3:13 in the iTunes Store but if you download the song then it shows as 3:14 in your own library. Very sneaky of them to disguise the pi reference.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I'm sure you all noticed that this week's free Latino Single of the Week in the U.S. has a song length of 3:14. It obviously can't just be a coincidence!

Note: The song length shows as 3:13 in the iTunes Store but if you download the song then it shows as 3:14 in your own library. Very sneaky of them to disguise the pi reference.

Well, I heard it was to keep the fanboys from the "unofficial 'I've Been Waiting for a Pi Reference in a Latino Single' thread" from catching on

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#

Seek. Help. :p :D

... frantically sushi scurries away into hiding somewhere in the Internet. :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Pi itself was anticipating the celebration today. After all, the 8-digit sequence 2011 03 14 occurs within the decimal digits of pi starting 392624 digits after the decimal point. I checked this on my abacus. But I ran out of beads before I could double-check that the five trillionth digit of pi is a 2.

Here's a car ad that only a math geek could enjoy. And another sing-along, for the lyric-challenged.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I had my somewhat nerdy co-worker wish me a Happy ∏ Day. I thought he was talking about pie at first. :eek:

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Pi itself was anticipating the celebration today. After all, the 8-digit sequence 2011 03 14 occurs within the decimal digits of pi starting 392624 digits after the decimal point. I checked this on my abacus. But I ran out of beads before I could double-check that the five trillionth digit of pi is a 2.

Here's a car ad that only a math geek could enjoy. And another sing-along, for the lyric-challenged.

Happy π day!

Wow! how did you work that out? (i assumed you're joking about the abacus) what about the sequence 14032011 for us metrics? :D

and that car ad is just showed the numbers in π for their car stats? not that exciting for me :confused: although they showed enough numbers of pie to get the numbers they needed in the right sequence.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I know 72 digits without peeking. For a while I knew more, which I practiced by having the first 1000 digits as my desktop picture. But I got lazy and left a let of icons get all over my desktop, obscuring the picture!
With sixty-four decimal places you get the observable universe's circumference down to a sextillionth the size of a proton.* Do you really need more? :p

* According to Neil deGrasse Tyson, that is. My calculator just kept rounding to zero. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.