Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you enroll in Unlimited 3G SPECIFICALLY to ensure being grandfathered

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
It's more of a wake I suppose than a celebration. Coming is that day you have to yell at your kids to turn off the Internet b/c you don't own the ISP, and you will remember this day, the day when how we pay for data changed forever.

Anyway, I begrudgingly turned on the 3G spigot today. So the question is, how many here also turned on unlimited 3G SPECIFICALLY to grandfather into the unlimited plan?

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I would like to know too, what are most people using in the way of usage? Just checked and the wife and I are about 300 mb a month on the iPhones. We don't stream movies but use Internet what would seem to be a lot.

Safari King

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
North Carolina
It's more of a wake I suppose than a celebration. Coming is that day you have to yell at your kids to turn off the Internet b/c you don't own the ISP, and you will remember this day, the day when how we pay for data changed forever.

Anyway, I begrudgingly turned on the 3G spigot today. So the question is, how many here also turned on unlimited 3G SPECIFICALLY to grandfather into the unlimited plan?

My job pays for the unlimited service, so I don't have much of a gripe, but if I were paying for it, I would have activated unlimited anyway, instead of accepting the 2G limit. My plan is to change my iPhone data plan to a lower level and use the iPad for the bulk of data, when not using my MacBook Pro. I also plan to JB the iPad so that I can tether the MBP off of the iPad when needed, although it wont be that often.

$30 is piece of mind that I don't have to worry about overage charges...

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I voted yes although my situation is a bit off. I just turned 3G on last weekend and planned to only use it for the month. Yesterday, I checked to make sure I am on auto renew, so that I don't cancel. Without this change, I would be in cancel at end mode.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
While I have an unlimited plan, I really don't think I ever would have noticed based on my usage and wifi availability. Might "downgrade" to save a few bucks along the line.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
lol. I was thinking. After 2 million iPads sold. :apple: and At&t can afford to play with yalls feelings.

I bet if they only sold 500k the offer would still stand. Damn Crooks. :cool:

BERRYP186

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2009
My iPad came in yesterday just endear the gun. Rushed home and turned on the unlimited yea baby.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
If I lived in the states, I would get the unlimited plan before it expired.

However, with the change in plans, in the future when I return I would be very tempted to get the Verizon MiFi instead. Then again, that is another device to carry and feed (recharge) so maybe an iPad 3G would be a better solution.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
No, I would rarely go over 2GB in a month, and a reason for doing the 3G was to avoid a contract. Grandfathering in unlimited is the equivalent of a de facto contract, and me being spiteful isn't worth the money.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Grandfathering in unlimited is the equivalent of a de facto contract, and me being spiteful isn't worth the money.

Great new viewpoint. Many were excited about month to month, locking in when less than 2% went over 2 Gb isn't prudent for anyone but the 2%.

The viral marketing campaigns by companies these days is nothing short of genius.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
If I lived in the states, I would get the unlimited plan before it expired.

However, with the change in plans, in the future when I return I would be very tempted to get the Verizon MiFi instead. Then again, that is another device to carry and feed (recharge) so maybe an iPad 3G would be a better solution.

I have been thinking about a MiFi if I am at a point where I spend more than 10 months in the States per year, but I can't get the math to work out right.

Phone with data plan and tethering fee + iPad prepaid is quite a bit less than Phone with data plan + MiFi contract.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
That's a good question Chupa. I also wondered how many will sign up, turn off wifi, and just hammer away at that data over spite.

I read somewhere yesterday that some were intending to do just that.

thats me.. yes, in 2 days i accumulated less than 500mb
so granfathered is FTW

shadygrove

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
I actually think the new plans will save me money in the long run. The one or two times I might go over won't total more than savings. Most of my time is around Wifi. That said... If I had my iPad (still on the list of things to get) I would get the unlimited just for *****. I am getting a the new iPhone (will be my first) so I don't really have the option of getting the new the hardware plus the grandfather plan. But, I actually think it is for the best in my situation, as it will save me money (in theory anyway).

SailorMike

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
Orlando
I'm another one forced to spend $30 every month when I only need it on the odd month for travel.

And it's also very annoying that as of Sunday morning, Apple is STILL advertising that I can start and stop unlimited 3G without penalty. That's false advertising.

So does that mean that now Apple is evil? My mother warned me about hanging around with the wrong crowd (AT&T)

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
I am waiting for consumer outrage to change the way AT&T is going.

You may say I'm a dreamer.

But I'm not the only one :)

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I got it last night, i was hoping to hold off a few weeks thoughg as im heading on a trip for a few weeks without a notebook and could see using more than 2gb, esp with using some apps streaming data/media and no wifi.
So its a just in case I extend my stay it seemed worth it.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I got the unlimited plan yesterday. I'm probably going to keep it for a few months to cover some traveling I'm doing this summer. It's nice to not have to worry about going over.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I can't!
I haven't even received mine iPad 3G yet to do so!
I can't believe AT&T did this.
What a PR fiasco.
Like AT&T needs another black eye. SHEESH!

ckr4282

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
Okay, so here's the shipping status on my iPad. When it's delivered and I turn it on for the first time, will I be given the option to go with the unlimited plan? It's shipping to Sacramento, CA by the way.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-06 at 10.47.28 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-06 at 10.47.28 AM.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 104

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I can't!
I haven't even received mine iPad 3G yet to do so!
I can't believe AT&T did this.
What a PR fiasco.
Like AT&T needs another black eye. SHEESH!

The latest info from AT&T indicates that as long as you purchased it before 6/7, you can get the unlimited data plan. However, unless you are among the 2% data hog figure, you will save money going with a lesser plan.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I'm another one forced to spend $30 every month when I only need it on the odd month for travel.

If you only needed for the odd month of travel, why not save the money and just pay the additional for those odd months?

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
I jumped to the unlimited so I can watch the Tour de France at work in July. After that we'll see. I would not turn WiFi off just to hammer 3g as while my 3g service is decent here (close to 2mbps normally), it isn't WiFi.

Chimera-se

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
I don't think I will. I haven't even used the 3G service since buying the iPad on launch day. However, stealthman1, how will you watch the TdF on your iPad? I might pay for a couple months just for this capability. Vive la Tour! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.