Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juniorspank

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2015
Hey guys,

Every once in awhile the haptic on my iPhone 7 plus is making a click when it taps. I've only noticed it since iOS 11 update and don't know if it has to do with the beta or if it's a hardware thing that I should contact Apple about.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on if this has been happening to them too.

Thanks everyone.

juniorspank

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2015
Awesome, glad to hear it's not just me! Thanks for the reply.

Seems to just randomly happen to me, how about you?

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
As iOS 11 is a beta,some random actions should be suspected. Maybe the clicking sound is something new that Apple wants to try out,or a minor bug.

juniorspank

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2015
As iOS 11 is a beta,some random actions should be suspected. Maybe the clicking sound is something new that Apple wants to try out,or a minor bug.

It’s definitely a random occurrence. I’ve repeated the actions in an attempt to have it reoccur, but have been unsuccessful in determining how to get it.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
It happens if the Taptic Engine is activated after it hasn’t been activated in a while.

Pyrothemonkey

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2017
It happens if the Taptic Engine is activated after it hasn’t been activated in a while.

On beta 2 it appears to be more frequent.

Facebook drag down refresh for example clicked 10/10 times.
Meant find anything in the realease notes about it.

It might be a new feature for feedback but I would have expected a setting to turn the click on or off.

Not sure how I feel about it, but as I can’t see if it’s deliberate, it feels like a bug

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
On beta 2 it appears to be more frequent.

Facebook drag down refresh for example clicked 10/10 times.
Meant find anything in the realease notes about it.

It might be a new feature for feedback but I would have expected a setting to turn the click on or off.

Not sure how I feel about it, but as I can’t see if it’s deliberate, it feels like a bug

It's listed as a known issue in Beta 2's release notes:

Haptics
New Issues
• Performing a forced refresh on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus may produce an unexpected
pop or sound. (32635793)​

Reactions: MartinAppleGuy

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I’m having it on beta 4 of the public beta; every second pull down refresh on my 7 Plus has a pop

JDabney24

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
Still happens on my 7 plus every once in a while and I’m on the official release. Most notably happens when switching software toggles on and off or when an app like gamepigeon uses the Taptic Engine for game feedback.

macman01101

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
This happens for me every time when I tap an app icon to open the app.

It’s annoying because I want “silent” to mean silent.

They also still play an audible sound when you press the home button. I know the haptic feedback might make some noise, but Apple enhances/augments it with an audible sound as well.

Incredibly annoying. Not trying to start a flame war, but this is the kind of idiocy I would expect from Samsung. Noises, flashy things, and tacky red dots on watches are signs of creative desperation.

macman01101

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
Have you got any proof of this?
I have had the problem on two iPhone 7+ (model NN522LL/A), and also an iPhone 7.

I don't have any audio equipment sensitive enough to record the sounds, but I will try. If you have any suggestions, I'm happy to try those as well.

But, try it for yourself. Go into a dead silent room, make sure you don't have any AC noise or anything else, and for emphasis - I mean actually silent, and then tap on Instagram, Settings, or anything, and you will hear what sounds like a very faint "tick". You also need to have pretty good hearing.

I have tried during off haptics, making sure there isn't some unexpected accessibility setting, and even gotten a new phone. Same problem.

For a point of reference, the "tick" is fainter than what you would hear if you "pull to refresh" in the Mail app (or any other app).

And, then, more explicitly, for the home button, try turning off haptics. You will still hear a virtual "click". And think about it, pressing on solid glass doesn't make a sound, so Apple is adding the "sound" of a home button press.

All of this together is just frustrating to me personally. I don't post in the forums a lot, I love Apple products, I've made about 40 apps -- this just feels like a product manager somewhere along the way insisting that these little "tick" sounds are cool or something.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Does it happen in any orientation. Does it stop when you lay the phone flat on a surface? Mine does something similar but weirdly only when i am holding the phone upright. If i flip to landscape or lay it flat it goes away

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I’ve noticed it during boot sometimes but it hasn’t bothered me. Phone seems fine.

Last edited:

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I've noticed the home button "click" sound and I find it really irritating. It seems like something Forstall would have insisted on, and I would gladly jailbreak the phone (if only I could!) just to get rid of the stupid sound.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
My iPhone 7 Plus does a weird system haptic from time to time - it's like it's mis-fired or got the wrong intensity - and it's done this under later versions of iOS 10. It's hard to tell exactly when it began, but wasn't like this out of the box.

Due to the taptic engine being hardware, I can't discount the possibility of a hardware malfunction as well as this potentially being a software issue.

I've yet to experience it in iOS 11, but have only had it installed for the last 3 days.

Mickey1337

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2018
My iPhone 7 Plus does a weird system haptic from time to time - it's like it's mis-fired or got the wrong intensity - and it's done this under later versions of iOS 10. It's hard to tell exactly when it began, but wasn't like this out of the box.

Due to the taptic engine being hardware, I can't discount the possibility of a hardware malfunction as well as this potentially being a software issue.

I've yet to experience it in iOS 11, but have only had it installed for the last 3 days.
[doublepost=1544119877][/doublepost]There is a screw loose holding the haptic engine to the board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.