Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leonts2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2019
I have a mid 2012 Macbook pro, a few years ago I replaced the hard drive with an SSD and replaced the optical drive with the original hard drive that was in the computer using the OWC data doubler. It all worked well but then last week I started having problems with the secondary drive, whenever I tried to copy large files over I kept getting the error "the finder can't complete the operation because some data in can’t be read or written". I looked up what the problem might be the everything seemed to suggest that the drive was going bad so I bought a new drive and put in into the computer. Then when I tried to format it I got this error:

Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed.

I looked up what the problem might be again and I found out that the Macbook pro mid 2012 doesn't support SATA III in the optical drive port and that I would need to get a SATA II 3gbs harddrive. So I did but I'm still getting the same error.

The only other solution I'm seeing is to replace the SATA cable but how do I do this for the optical drive? Do I have to replace the whole data doubler? Exactly which cable do I replace? Whenever I look it up I just find a replacement for the original hard drive cable but nothing on how to replace the optical drive cables.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
There's some disagreement about whether the mid-2012 MBP optical port supports SATA3 or not. I get SATA3 speeds on my 13" MBP (with a SSD) and I haven't seen anybody on this forum say they couldn't get SATA3 speed. OWC has a warning about this but it used to be that they said it could do SATA3 (2011 models are likely unable but some could do SATA3).

In any case, I don't think using a SATA3 HDD would be a problem with a SATA2 port. I think you should:
1) Check the cable connection to the OWC Data Double to be sure it's secure.
2) Check to see if the HDD works in a USB enclosure, if possible.

You could replace the cable, the following is what it looks like (for the 13-inch):
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/Ma...2011-Mid-2012-SATA-SuperDrive-Cable/IF163-032
(for the 15-inch):
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/Ma...2009-Mid-2012-SATA-SuperDrive-Cable/IF161-040
You can look on other sites and search for "macbook pro 2012 superdrive cable". Other sites will have this cable at a cheaper price.

If that doesn't work, you could try replacing the OWC Data Doubler, but I would doubt that that's the issue if it was working with a HDD before. (I also have the OWC Data Doubler.)

You should also search for your HDD model and see if there are any problems being used in the 2012 MBP. There can sometimes be strange compatibility issues specific to certain HDD/computer models.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.