Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PMYeomansJr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2018
Boston, MA
Here is my issue. The drive states its almost full. 415GB used of a 500GB HD. I am running Sierra on an iMac. When I go into manage it states the system is using all of the space and its grayed out. I do not know how to free up this space. I have run disk utilities thinking maybe the drive is corrupt, but the problem persists. I have 6 of these identical iMacs and this s the only one with this issue. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
iMac2.JPG
iMac1.JPG

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Something in the "usr" folder is eating up all that space.

I'm going to -guess- that this has something to do with letting the OS "manage" your storage.

I -DO NOT- let the OS "manage" my storage.
I manage it ... myself.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The drive states its almost full. 415GB used of a 500GB HD.

Run this command in Terminal and give it a couple minutes to finish, then tell us the output. This will show the size of all the base folders in GB, including some system and hidden files.

Code:
sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

Also, do you happen to have Time Machine turned on?

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202301
Something in the "usr" folder is eating up all that space.
That usr folder is only 516MB, so I don't think that is the problem.

PMYeomansJr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2018
Boston, MA
Run this command in Terminal and give it a couple minutes to finish, then tell us the output. This will show the size of all the base folders in GB, including some system and hidden files.

Code:
sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

Also, do you happen to have Time Machine turned on?

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202301

That usr folder is only 516MB, so I don't think that is the problem.

Thank you!

Here is the output:

Mac.JPG

[doublepost=1539002694][/doublepost]Also, I do not usually allow the OS to manage my storage. I turned it on due to this issue hoping something would change. Thank you all for your help.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Also, I do not usually allow the OS to manage my storage. I turned it on due to this issue hoping something would change. Thank you all for your help.

Your Users folder is very large. Do you think you have 393GB of personal data in there?

You can run this to drill down in that folder a little.

Code:
sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g ~/

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Your Users folder is very large. Do you think you have 393GB of personal data in there?

You can run this to drill down in that folder a little.

Code:
sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g ~/
There might be data outside the login account's folder, such as in /Users/Shared.

To get a more detailed view:
Code:
sudo du -d 2 -x -c -g /Users

Also: @PMYeomansJr please know that text can be drag-selected in the Terminal.app window, then copied to the clipboard with ⌘C, and pasted into a post using CODE tags. This would be simpler than making a screenshot and uploading the image.

The reason I suspect data outside the login folder is that post #3 says 66.9 GB in /Users, while the du output in post #6 says 393 GB. That's a difference of over 300 GB. If post #3 was run as a non-root user, then any number of folders might be inaccessible, in locations other than the login account folder.

Last edited:
Reactions: !!! and Weaselboy

isseask

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
Here is my issue. The drive states its almost full. 415GB used of a 500GB HD. I am running Sierra on an iMac. When I go into manage it states the system is using all of the space and its grayed out. I do not know how to free up this space. I have run disk utilities thinking maybe the drive is corrupt, but the problem persists. I have 6 of these identical iMacs and this s the only one with this issue. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
The most common approach is to install this cleaning program on your Mac , which can be used to free up space on Mac by deleting cookies and cache data .

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.