Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LongXP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2021
....Well well. I got myself into one hell of a situation again.

I know the obvious answer is to format the hard drive and delete everything but since there are files I needed (Totalling up to 389.74gbs) combined with the fact I sadly do not have an external drive to restore the files to, and the only SSD I have on this Mac is only 128gb._.

Is there a software that will let me retrieve the files and upload it to Cloud storage?

Better yet, If anyone know how to mount back my hard drive and restore the drive to its original state, that will be great. My hard drive currently doesn't show up in diskutil list nor the reinstall macOS option in Recovery, convert to APFS doesn't work as well and it's stuck in Mac OS Extended format which it doesn't recognised

Info:
-MacBook Pro Mid-2012, MacOS Mojave with 128gb SSD and 800gb Hard Drive

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Try Data Rescue or Disk Drill.

You are going to need ANOTHER external drive.
1tb in size. You'd best start shopping for one.

Even if the above utilities (data recovery software) can "see" the drive, they're going to need ANOTHER drive to serve as the "scratch drive" to which they can recover the files.

Seems like we went through this before in another thread...

LongXP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2021
Try Data Rescue or Disk Drill.

You are going to need ANOTHER external drive.
1tb in size. You'd best start shopping for one.

Even if the above utilities (data recovery software) can "see" the drive, they're going to need ANOTHER drive to serve as the "scratch drive" to which they can recover the files.

Seems like we went through this before in another thread...
....Well uh

Anyways as with your suggestion, I was able to use Disk Drill to recover the files and mount it as a drive (Smart feature!). Though, instead of venturing out at mid-night for an external drive, I decided to buy 1tb of Onedrive on my account instead...

Well as I am typing this, Onedrive is hard at work uploading a few dozen thousand of images. Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.