Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GiantsFan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2004
san jose OR riverside, Cali
I'm running a 1.33Ghz 12" powerbook. The past few days, my harddrive has been "whirring"/spinning kinda loud. When I have my powerbook in my lap and its a little bit inclined, it makes the sound. When I brought it out of sleep mode earlier, it made the whirring sound really loudly (it was flat on a flat surface). SMART status says its verifed, i verified the HD with Disk Utility. could my HD be dying or is it maybe just some connector got loose inside?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Whirring is generally a friendly noise, it's the clicking you have to worry about. Run fsck if you're feeling bored but unless you're experiencing any erratic system behaviour, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Of course, as with any computer (especially laptops), keep it backed up. :)

GiantsFan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2004
mad jew said:
Whirring is generally a friendly noise, it's the clicking you have to worry about. Run fsck if you're feeling bored but unless you're experiencing any erratic system behaviour, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Of course, as with any computer (especially laptops), keep it backed up. :)

thanks. I know clicking is bad, but the whirring was scaring me because it wouldn't/couldn't read my mp3 off the HD (i had it on playing in itunes) when my laptop was inclined until I leveled out my laptop. weird.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That is weird. It's never good to move a spinning hard drive in that way though, perhaps it was just struggle with centripetal force or something. If things keep playing up, then definitely run fsck. :)

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
Go to disk utility and check the S.M.A.R.T. Status. If it's not "Verified" you should probably back up everything ASAP.

GiantsFan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2004
Rocksaurus said:
Go to disk utility and check the S.M.A.R.T. Status. If it's not "Verified" you should probably back up everything ASAP.

Yeah, its verified.

Its acting up again. now its worse. It vibrates my powerbook and nothing responds (i can move mouse cursor around but can't click anything). any thoughts? some friends say i should just replace the HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.