Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2006
MN
I have begun to run short on HDD space on my Macbook and Powermac so I was originally planning on turning the Powermac into a file server by upgrading it's HDD. Unfortunately as I researched into it, I found the system was to limited so I began to look into other options. Well one thing lead to another and well....I bought a Xserve G4(in sig.). I know it's overkill, but half the reason I got it was to play with OSX Server 10.4. I got a real good deal on both.(gotta love ebay)

Now my question. As I begin to set this thing up and build my network, I need to increase the HDD space of the Xserve. I got it with a 60GB and a 180GB drive with 2 more open bays. I would like to pull the 2 existing Seagate drives out of their trays and put in 2 500GB ones. I know they use Apple firmware but it looks like any ATA drive would work. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and if they have any HDD recommendations? Also, is there any lose of functionality by not having the Apple firmware? I'm thinking of the same thing for the 2 empty bays by buying 2 empty trays and putting in my own drives. It would be a lot cheaper then buying Apple branded units. I do plan on using it in a RAID configuration. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2006
MN
Never mind. I found my answers by digging through the Apple support forums. The drives can be swapped with non-Apple drives but you lose SMART monitoring. That's fine for me since I'm looking for a fairly cheap solution.

Only problem now is I need to find a couple of ATA Xserve drive sleds. Apple doesn't sell them on their own(only with new drives for $$$). So if anyone doesn't have any suggestions are were to look, I quess I'm off to ebay again;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.