Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Like I said Seagate has been a pioneer in HDs for a long time and you couldn't go wrong with a 5 yr. warranty.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/abo...any_milestones

Buy one and quite asking questions.:)

Honestly, I don't know that a 5year warranty means much if you lose all your data. Longer warranties may imply a less reliable device, not a more reliable device, because a way to sell it may be to increase the length of the warranty. For example, in car sales, traditionally less reliable manufacturers have longer warranties and more reliable manufacturers have shorter warranties (hyundai (sp?) and honda, for example fit those two categories, where honda only has a 36 month warranty, wherease hyundai has a 10 year warranty). The new perpindicular hard drives that seagate sells are likely where things are going. But one might reasonably be concerned with the reliability of the technology at the momment.

I really haven't had any problem with any of the three manufacturers, though.

Cheers.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
Honestly, I don't know that a 5year warranty means much if you lose all your data. Longer warranties may imply a less reliable device, not a more reliable device, because a way to sell it may be to increase the length of the warranty. For example, in car sales, traditionally less reliable manufacturers have longer warranties and more reliable manufacturers have shorter warranties (hyundai (sp?) and honda, for example fit those two categories, where honda only has a 36 month warranty, wherease hyundai has a 10 year warranty). The new perpindicular hard drives that seagate sells are likely where things are going. But one might reasonably be concerned with the reliability of the technology at the momment.

I really haven't had any problem with any of the three manufacturers, though.

Cheers.

We'll warranties in cars can sometimes be a money maker for them. Honda may have a 36 month warranty and be more than happy to sell you an extended warranty because they know how long the car will last before something goes wrong. When it comes to HD for backup it is probably a good idea to have an extra backup anyway. As far as warranties go in HDs this is pretty good but I must refrain from saying that you can't go wrong because there is always a chance it may.:)

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
We'll warranties in cars can sometimes be a money maker for them. Honda may have a 36 month warranty and be more than happy to sell you an extended warranty because they know how long the car will last before something goes wrong. When it comes to HD for backup it is probably a good idea to have an extra backup anyway. As far as warranties go in HDs this is pretty good but I must refrain from saying that you can't go wrong because there is always a chance it may.:)

The reason that Honda only has a 36 month warranty is that they can sell a car with only a 36 month warranty. Hyundai can't, because the cars are considered less reliable, and therefore, you might be willing to buy a car because if something happens you get it fixed in year 4-10. What I was getting at is that if the reason that Seagate feels that they need to extend the warranty, that's fine, except that if you don't back up your data and you have a failure, does it matter if you get the thing fixed/replaced?

cheers.

djray77

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
If your looking for speed just get a couple raptor 150gb 10k drives you cant get any faster drives.

timb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Since you're after reliability, I'll say this. I run servers for a living, after checking some of my records, it seems Seagate has the lowest failure rate, followed closely by Hitachi. Maxtor was at the bottom (tied with IBM actually), WD was in the middle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.