Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wthurmond1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
I'm running a mid 2012 macbook pro on 10.10.5 and I've recently started having some problems with kernel panics. My computer will just restart when I'm playing certain games. Because of this I've started downloading the newest OS but while I was doing that I noticed my storage is full...very full(see SS below) I've deleted a ton of apps and other large files and so far no change to this storage screen. I have time machine off and haven't used it in around a year. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help.
Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 11.42.06 PM.png

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
According to your picture you have 221.7GB on a 500GB HDD, sounds pretty good to me.
Try right-clicking on your HDD icon and then click on "get info", what does it say there about available space?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Run the command below in Terminal to reindex Spotlight and it should fix that bad storage readout. Give it 20 minutes or so to complete the reindex.

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /

Thing is... don't be surprised if that index drifts off again. For some reason the whole thing is really buggy in Yosemite on up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.