Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
I own a rev. A PowerBook G4 (867Mhz). I custom ordered it maxed out with 640MB of RAM, and a the option for the 60GB hard drive. Can some one tell me what RPM my hard drive runs at? I think it's 4200RPM, but I'm not sure.

I'm looking at the MacBook Pro's as my next Mac upgrade. I've been waiting for Apple to introduce their Intel based Macs, and I've decided to wait for the second or third MacBook Pro revisions to buy one.

One dilemma I've been having is going for the 100GB 7200RPM option, or the 120GB 5400RPM option. Does the 7200RPM drive really speed up your computer's overall performace that much? Is it worth not having the extra 20GB of space the 5400RPM offers?

I do lots of video editing, and a good deal of GarageBand work, so I'm faced with chosing a faster hard drive over a decently fast one with more space. Help!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'd guess your current one is 4200RPM but I could be wrong.

As for the MacBook, go for the 7200RPM drive. It'll make a difference for video and Garageband work because these tasks require a lot of writing to the hard drive. Go for a substantial amount of RAM too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.