Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kimjongbill

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2016
I apologize for the /r/titlegore, but I am in a very confusing predicament. I have a 4,1 I’m starting to use as a file server and everything was working great earlier yesterday. To keep it brief, all of my drives showed up well and I was transferring files between them yesterday, but after doing a clean install of Mojave and formatting the drives and starting a RAID setup, the hard drives won’t show up in macOS under disk utility, System profiler, terminal, but they will show up *sometimes* when I boot into disk utility directly.

I had a 2x 10TB WD drives, 1x 8TB WD, and a 500gb SSD boot drive and I was going to make a RAID setup with the 8 and 10 TB drive, and use the other 10 TB drive for my iMac. I was transferring files between them yesterday to get everything off the two drives so I could transfer the data back on to them after starting RAID. I ended up formatting the 8 and 10 TB drives and the SSD to have a clean install of Mojave and I made a RAID array in disk utility, and everything worked great! Then I booted into Mojave for the first time and the hard drives weren’t showing up. I would boot into disk utility and they would show up, and I tried remounting them and reformatting them to be normal disks (instead of RAID). They still wouldn’t show up, and now they’re not showing up in disk utility at all.

One potential problem I saw was that you can’t boot from a RAID drive in Mojave, but since my boot drive is the SSD, I don’t think that’s the problem.

I’m starting to reach the limits of what I’m capable of, and I was looking to see if you guys had any input. Thank you so much!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Have another computer to which you can connect the RAID to see if it will "see" the drives? If not, have a friend with a Mac that would let you do this simple test to verify that ANY Mac can see this RAID?

Have you tried (normal) booting with the RAID disconnected and then connecting it?

kimjongbill

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2016
Have another computer to which you can connect the RAID to see if it will "see" the drives? If not, have a friend with a Mac that would let you do this simple test to verify that ANY Mac can see this RAID?

Have you tried (normal) booting with the RAID disconnected and then connecting it?
Yes, I ran them in an external enclosure and the two drives showed up on my iMac and my Mac Pro. I then reinstalled them in the Mac Pro and they showed up successfully when booting into disk utility, but they did not show up when I boot into macOS and go into disk utility

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
And you tried the second option: boot with the cable to the RAID disconnected... then after it is fully booted, plug in the cable and see if it connects to the drives?

And, while unlikely, you've tried the easy stuff like swapping out the cable, trying a different port for the Mac connection, etc too? Confident it's not something like a piece of lint in the port or a damaged cable that can sometimes work and sometimes not work?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.