Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Hello

I Want to buy a screen protector for my iPad. I notice on ebay they sell the hard kind screen protectors for really cheap. Do you guys know any difference with the hard screen protector vs soft one like IS?

Thank you -

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Hello

I Want to buy a screen protector for my iPad. I notice on ebay they sell the hard kind screen protectors for really cheap. Do you guys know any difference with the hard screen protector vs soft one like IS?

Thank you -

I prefer the stiff plastic variety similar to Power Support Screen Overlays. They have better fit and finish IMHO. Those of the soft vinyl variety have the tendency to stretch and not quite line up with the edges of the screen and home button.

Also plastic overlays are reusable while vinyl overlays are a one shot deal.

Word of advice, plastic or vinyl, get the good stuff. I say stay away from eBay.

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
I have always been a fan of the 'soft' kind. For what it's worth i have a bodyguardz on mine, and i was able to remove the protector off the glass screen to clean it a few days after i originally apllied it, and then reapply it. But yeah they're meant to be put on and stay on

i recommend bodyguardz or phantomskinz over invisible shield, both are cheaper and both have a smoother surface.

Good luck

d00m42

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Miami, FL
I would go with the "hard plastic" ones, like the SGP or Powersupport films, especially the anti-glare ones. They are usually pretty easy to apply without bubbles if you do so carefully (look up a guide on YouTube). They provide really good protection, and not much bulk. The anti-glare ones really eliminate most glare as well, and even eliminate most fingerprints!

Heaven32

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2010
Also you can check out skinomi - They make a screen protector that's comparable to the Invisible Shield, and that's what my friend uses.

circularforward

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Here is an iLounge review of a few screen protectors, including hard and soft ones. Also, another review that compares the quality of different films. In general, you get what you pay for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.