Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbassham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
beta 3 was fine for a couple of days and then it started super-drain. Like 2% per minute.

Per app info says it is the home/lock screen.

I saw a few others say that they had the same problem, but never found anyone with a solution. anybody?

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
Backup and then restore. If the problem persists, restore as new phone. Occasionally, a prefs file gets corrupted which causes some process to hang at 100%, draining the battery. Usually a restore fixes it, but sometimes the file causing the problem is in the backup, requiring setting up the device as new. I've had it happen to me about twice since 2007/iOS 1.

Ferrd

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
beta 3 was fine for a couple of days and then it started super-drain. Like 2% per minute.

Per app info says it is the home/lock screen.

I saw a few others say that they had the same problem, but never found anyone with a solution. anybody?

Same exact issue! I ended up having to restore back to 7.1.2 because I could no longer rely on my iPhone.

I'll just wait it out for Beta 4, hoping they fix the issue.

clubtech

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Having the same issue here in the iPhone 5s.
Was anyone able to fix it but setting up as a new iPhone withoit restoring settings?

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
I am having the same issue. Woke up yesterday morning, unplugged my phone from the charger, set it aside while I got ready for work, didn't use it at all until I got in the car to go to work, 20 minutes later I arrive at work and it says 43%. So a total of an hour and a half with minimal usage and it drains over half the battery. I tried using the work around in the developer notes and it did nothing.

I was actually a little impressed with Beta 3 up until this point. I was not plagued as badly with the sudden phone shut down from "low battery" at random percentages like 22% or even 37% like has been happening to me and so many others since the introduction of iOS 7. Before I could run my iPhone, any one of them, on all different version of iOS, right down to 1% and it would hang there until finally shutting down. With iOS 7 and iOS 8 beta 1 and 2, it would die at random percentages. And I would sometimes plug my phone in at say 8% and it would immediately jump to some like 17% or 23%. Beta 3 still isn't iOS 6 or earlier, but it hasn't shut off at anything above 10% yet.

piranhadonna

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2013
Chandler, Az
I was having this issue as well until I started closing out all apps after using them. Since then it has been pretty decent. Of course my battery usage time is not working in this beta so I can't show you exactly what battery life I am getting.

pbassham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Resetting all settings fixed it for me. Not erasing, just resetting under prefs-general-reset

I tried that and it got stuck in recovery mode.

About 12 hours and 14 restores later, I got it back to where it was before, but the battery problem persists.

Just going to wait for the next beta and hopefully it gets fixed.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
I am having the same issue. Woke up yesterday morning, unplugged my phone from the charger, set it aside while I got ready for work, didn't use it at all until I got in the car to go to work, 20 minutes later I arrive at work and it says 43%. So a total of an hour and a half with minimal usage and it drains over half the battery. I tried using the work around in the developer notes and it did nothing.

I was actually a little impressed with Beta 3 up until this point. I was not plagued as badly with the sudden phone shut down from "low battery" at random percentages like 22% or even 37% like has been happening to me and so many others since the introduction of iOS 7. Before I could run my iPhone, any one of them, on all different version of iOS, right down to 1% and it would hang there until finally shutting down. With iOS 7 and iOS 8 beta 1 and 2, it would die at random percentages. And I would sometimes plug my phone in at say 8% and it would immediately jump to some like 17% or 23%. Beta 3 still isn't iOS 6 or earlier, but it hasn't shut off at anything above 10% yet.

When I saw the random shutdown comment, I knew you had an iPhone 5, and i bet you got it on release day, right? A significant percentage of release-day iPhone 5 batteries were defective, and the telltale symptom is the shutdown at random percentages. It's not an iOS bug--it's a hardware problem.

If you have the battery replaced at an Apple Store, the problem will go away, and you'll have much better battery life.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28731875-iPhone-IOS7-Phone-shuts-off-when-low-battery-at-15-20-

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29302048-

shockwave562

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
Denver
Had to reboot after I did it, but seems to be working the last 20 minutes or so on my 5s. Immediately cooled off and drain has slowed. Thanks!

I should add this is still a pretty big bug. Reset worked, but when I am actively using the phone I am burning through battery still. This did help my idle though.

shockwave562

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
Denver
After some more testing on 5s I have not been able to fix this. settings reset worked for about an hour then kicked back in. I did erase everything and start fresh which worked for about 5 hours, which may be the solution.

Once I restored my backup the issue returned. As someone mentioned earlier, it's possible the problem is saved in the backup.

clubtech

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
After some more testing on 5s I have not been able to fix this. settings reset worked for about an hour then kicked back in. I did erase everything and start fresh which worked for about 5 hours, which may be the solution.

Once I restored my backup the issue returned. As someone mentioned earlier, it's possible the problem is saved in the backup.

It's not in the restore.
I did a clean install with no restore and just re-installed all my apps manually and the drain is there.
Hopefully beta 4 will solve it.

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
Last year when the iOS 7 betas were coming out I bought a 3,000mah battery from Anker (ianker.com) which IMO is the best external battery company out there. Whenever I have a beta running on my iPhone 5 I always carry my Anker battery in my left side pocket and a lightning cable in my left back pocket. Call me a nerd or whatever but the way I figure, if my iPhone and my 17 year old car (I'm 16 years old btw :p) both decide to die at the same, I'm screwed. My Anker battery at least gives me a little peace of mind.

shockwave562

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
Denver
OK so I think I've made some progress. After a full restore I noticed that calendar app was taking up a huge chunk of battery. I also noticed that my exchange calendar was only showing about half the events, indicating a sync problem.

My current workaround was to turn off calendar syncing on all accounts. For the last 2 hours I've only dropped 1% battery.

Last edited:

shockwave562

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
Denver
4 hours later I can confirm this seems to have resolved the issue. With moderate use I've lost only 12% battery and the phone is no longer heating up.

diak

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
usage and standby shows the same time. battery drained 40% in 5 hours this night...

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    99.7 KB · Views: 148

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
My battery life has been pretty normal during the day, but overnight it always goes from 100% to about 10%. I have no idea what it's doing overnight that kills the battery so much.

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
OK so I think I've made some progress. After a full restore I noticed that calendar app was taking up a huge chunk of battery. I also noticed that my exchange calendar was only showing about half the events, indicating a sync problem.

My current workaround was to turn off calendar syncing on all accounts. For the last 2 hours I've only dropped 1% battery.

Thank you for sharing this. I had the exact same problem. Battery usage showed that calendar was using a ton of battery for "Background Activity". I turned off all of my calendars, and the problem was fixed. I turned my iCloud calendar back on today, and the problem hasn't reappeared, so I think it may have been my gmail calendar (although the only way to know for sure would be to turn that back on, but then I would have to deal with battery issues again :().

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.