Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katanaweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2017
Argentina
In a certain Chrome update, the hardware acceleration in Chrome stopped working on my 2008 Macbook Pro, which has a GeFORCE 9400M video accelerator.

Apparently for several development BUGs that can be seen here: chrome://gpu/ (in the case of having this GPU) they decided to put this GPU in a backlist.

In this way, any animation or video process is handled only by the CPU. This greatly lowered the performance of the browser in my case.

You can do something if your GPU is in the blacklist, you can simply "turn off" that blacklist from chrome://flags/. Enabling the "Override software rendering list" option.

But in my case did not works, after searching a lot on forums, everyone complains that it is not enough to enable that option GPU acceleration does not return.

I found this post in an Nvidia forum that talks about the CUDA Driver in Mac OS Mavericks:
Https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...nstallation/cuda-driver-on-mac-os-mavericks/2

Finally with the solution for me, if you install the driver that Nvidia offers that brings support for CUDA:

Http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/4_2/rel/drivers/devdriver_4.2.10_macos.dmg

When the driver are downloaded, if we enter System Preferences and then CUDA automatically start to download the last version (CUDA Driver Version: 6.5.51 - GPU Driver Version: 8.24.17 310.90.9.05f01).

After that, restarting the computer, let's see that Chrome and the GPU start to work again!

I'm not sure if 100% or like before, but the performance improved a lot, in the scroll, and in animations or video playback.

I hope my experiences be useful four you mates! And sorry about my english! Regards from Argentina!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.