Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacaroniFish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2022
Hello, I have installed the DosDude1 Catalina patcher on my MP3,1 and an AMD RX580 MSI graphics card into the tower. The Mac works flawlessly except for one thing. I am using the setup for editing in FCP and Premiere and would like to take advantage of the card with renders and encoding. For this I want to have hardware acceleration working. Currently it isn't.

When I go into VideoProc and convert a video, it gives me the option to use hardware acceleration for HEVC but not H.264. It also says my graphics is N/A. Before I installed the card it gave me no option for HEVC or H.264. It seems VideoProc is detecting something but can't detect my card. I'm thinking my Mac is not able to detect the hardware properly yet Final Cut Pro recognizes the RX580 as my card. The card is not being used by Final Cut pro though. I have used the activity monitor to assess the GPU and it isn't being used during renders at all and not during exports and encoding either. Does anybody have GPU acceleration on their 3,1?

I have been looking at installing KEXT developed by Whatevergreen and Lilu to allow my mac to properly detect my hardware. Has anyone successfully done this? Is this a good option for me? I am not experienced with KEXT and know how powerful they are. I was thinking of using KEXT wizard to install them. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated in how I should move forward. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
There is a thread for activating GPU Acceleration with info on what to do.

Best way is to use OpenCore but I believe the thread also has a previous now dated method documented.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.