Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inutopia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
South of Heaven
Hey all, after a wee bit of hardware advice of poss?

After 18 years of Mac ownership (mainly mac pro) I finally gave up waiting for something good for me from Apple last year and built a PC workstation. Little did I know that they were going to come out with laptops that could handle my workload better than my brand new 12 core edit station.... So, having not loved my time with windows and very much tempted my the 14 inch MBP with it's insane power/w and general optimisations I've gone and bought one!

This will be my only computer, and so far I'm running:

The 14" MBP on a curve stand
Caldigit TS3+ Dock
My 2* 4K 32 inch monitors
A Sabrent TB3 NNME enclosure with my edit SSD in it - this comes with me when i work on the go

The only bit of the puzzle left, before I can sell the workstation is what to do with my 2 spinning HDs and my 2 SATA SSDs. All I need is JBOD direct access to them at full speed.

I would just get one of a number of cheapish 4 bay DAS and be done, but they are pretty much all USB3 5Gbps. I now this is more than enough for the spinning drives, but won't it bottleneck the SSDs, especially if I'm copying form one to the other?

There are a few USB3.2 units out there. One from Sabrent:

and one from Yottamaster:

They both seem to have patchy reviews though! What do you all reckon, am i overthinking it, should I just grab a USB3.0 one and it'll be fine?

fisha

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
This isn't the most used section of the forum, so replies aren't always going to be fast coming.

I don't have direct experience of those types of units. If its just for bulk storage, it'll likely be fine. Copying between drives will likely have to round trip through the computer, but if you're just doing it from time to time its not going to take that long for a transfer.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
If you want full SSD speed you will need a TB enclosure, its more than line speed. OWC and Oyen among others sell them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.