Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

norwaypianoman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Norway
BUYING HELP
Hello!

I am about to move from a 2012 system to a one that moves with the times.

With 1500$ and not deciding what hardware to buy first: What are your best advices for a composer who has instruments, with values like these: organizing my many hardware and software synths, being melodic, ultra-high sample instrument qualities (like East West), thinking 10 years ahead, what are high quality components in a future 4000$ dollar spent in hardware studio ?

(1) Sound Card:
RME Fireface UCX II
or I could just buy the Apogee Duet 3.
The question is: Will I really record multiple instruments at once, or just need to have the jacks of the synths plugged in ?

(2) Mac Mini:
a) With the new m1 chip, it seems like waiting is always better.
b) And even being the lowest model every second year, could be a cool, since the "economy of the chip", as to money pr cpu - could make it smarter to upgrade every second year, rather than buying an upgraded mac.
c) Or I could just buy one, and get going.

(3) Logic Pro:
Should I wait with both Mac and Logic Pro buying until November, to avoid upgrading twice in one year, I have really many projects

(4) Others things to do with $1500 that a film composer need ?

(5) Other really smart buys in 2021 ?

(6) The big stupid day:
Planning Black Friday seems the most important. Last year I bought 2 pianos and Reason, but I have not really enjoyed these 3, so Black Friday is dangerous for me.

SUMMARY:

I already have an older studio and hardware, which cannot be upgraded (2012 + firewire).

I have $1500 in 2021.
I have $500 each year 2022 and the next years.
The full planned price in 6 years will be 4000$ in total.

I can wait with buying the Mac Mini, maybe latest Nov 2021.
Thanks.

Last edited:

norwaypianoman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Norway
To clarify…you have $1500 total for interface, software and computer?
I already have an older studio and hardware, which cannot be upgraded (2012 + firewire).

I have $1500 in 2021.
I have $500 each year 2022 and the next years.
The full planned price in 6 years will be 4000$ in total.

I can wait with buying the Mac Mini, maybe latest Nov 2021.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Logic Pro has, so far, free upgrades so no reason to wait for an upgrade cycle.

Apogee Duet is a great interface. But given your fairly limited initial budget, others such as Focusrite Scarlett may be better choice? Only you can answer whether you need to have have multi instrument inputs depending on how you plan to work.

Having recently upgraded to a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol set up, I‘m very pleased with it and thoroughly recommend both the keyboard and excellent range of software instruments. It really depends on your needs and view of an investment.

• Love
Reactions: norwaypianoman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.