Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kennied

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
When importing CDs with iTunes, the system sometimes "gets stuck". It is usually on one of the last songs on the disc... What happens is that it seems unably to finish importing the track, and it goes into a loop - the MBP makes a "wheeeoooh weeeooh" sound... like it tries to pull through, but cant manage...

So my question to you... Is there a problem with iTunes or the superdrive?

kennied

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
...noone? If there is any thoughts, I would really appriciate it - the MBP is still within the 14 days return possibility.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
I'm not exactly sure what it is, but that sounds like a problem with iTunes. Have you tried the software updates?

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Might only be on higher capacity CDs, and the head can't go out far enough. I've had this problem on a couple of albums that are 'overburned'. Also, have a look at the edges of the CDs - they're read from the inside out (as opposed to reading from the the outside in, like a needle on an LP) - if the edges are chipped or scratched, it might be a read error. Seems to be very fine tolerances on Mac drives. I have an album that played fine on a regular stereo but the Mac would not mount it, didn't matter how much I tried. Borrowed a copy from a friend to check for copy protection, and their's ripped fine.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
You cursed me! I'm trying to import some cd's and i started having the same problem you described, only in the middle of the disc. I think in my case it's a few bad scratches. I'll try it on this PC in a bit.

kennied

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Have you tried changing the encoding settings?

This I have not tried.... how?

PS: The CDs I have experienced problems with, have all been original and in perfect conditition... but, I am open to the fact that the laser reader might be a bit more observant than me:eek:

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Well, I had a disc last night that I was importing that did the same thing you were describing. In the middle of the import, it just sat there and sounded like it was stuck and then iTunes would freeze. I had to force quit and I tried it again with the same result. I popped the disc out and ran up to the PC and it imported just fine there. It took a lot longer in the middle of the disc, but it made it through.

That said, I'm not sure what it might be. I'd have to now say it's hardware, but I don't think your hardware is "bad" per say, it just can't figure out what's going on.

kennied

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
...hmmmmm... strange... Oh well, thanx for the support anyway. And should you find out whats the cause, dont hesitate to update me - of course I will do the same.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
sounds like an issue with the disc itself.
try using the error correction in itune's preferences to see if that helps.

the slot drives can be a bit sensitive at times compared to the tray loaders because of their handling mechanism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.