Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
Before I was a Mac user, I ran Windows on PC's that I custom built (my last was four years ago running a 3.0 gHz Intel Hyperthread chip with 8 gigs RAM, Soundblaster Audigy 2, etc. - and eventually used a 23" Aluminum HD Apple Cinema Display lol). How has Apple's switch to Intel processors effected the rest of the hardware used? Are the motherboards (Apple's "Logic Board") similar to the AMD and Intel counterparts any one can buy at a local CompUSA or such, or is that hardware still unique? I'm asking as I've recently read that Mac Pro users were able to swap out their dual core processors for the newer quad core Intel processors just released. If this is the case, is it the same as swapping out chips for PC systems? Thanks :eek:

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The reason you can replace the processors is because they are not soldered in. letting you use other XEON chips, you can not how ever use another logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.