Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Hi guys,

I'm getting these speakers to use for my new macbook setup + 21" lcd, I also will be connecting my lcd to an xbox 360.

Now, I also want to be able to connect the Soundsticks to my 360. Is this possible? Do I need any other cables or adapters?

If it's not possible, does anyone have a suggestion for any other sexy speakers for use with the macbook and xbox360?

Kalns

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
i0Nic said:
Hi guys,

I'm getting these speakers to use for my new macbook setup + 21" lcd, I also will be connecting my lcd to an xbox 360.

Now, I also want to be able to connect the Soundsticks to my 360. Is this possible? Do I need any other cables or adapters?

If it's not possible, does anyone have a suggestion for any other sexy speakers for use with the macbook and xbox360?

Just plug the soundsticks into the headphone jack on your TV. If it doesn't have one I'm sure you can pick up a really cheap composite to mini plug adapter from radio shack.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
what you could do

http://www.trianglecables.com/255-036.html

get one of these adapters (Radio Shack might have them), and then get a couple of female-to-female RCA couplers (Radio Shack definitely has them)...if you jigger it all together correctly you should be able to run the sound from yer 360 straight into your HK speakers...

if it were me, I'd probably look into getting an A/V switchbox along with the adapter. Might make it easier for you...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ch&kw=2-way+selector+switch&parentPage=search

hope this helps

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
beatsme said:
http://www.trianglecables.com/255-036.html

get one of these adapters (Radio Shack might have them), and then get a couple of female-to-female RCA couplers (Radio Shack definitely has them)...if you jigger it all together correctly you should be able to run the sound from yer 360 straight into your HK speakers...

if it were me, I'd probably look into getting an A/V switchbox along with the adapter. Might make it easier for you...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ch&kw=2-way+selector+switch&parentPage=search

hope this helps
Thanks for your help, however I'm having a hard time trying to imagine how it will work (AV illiterate).

Since the 360 has the RCA output and the speakers have 3.5mm input, not sure how that setup will work?

Edit: Ok, using your description I've figured out how to connect it to the 360, thanks! The thing is, how do I *also* connect it to the laptop? Do I plug the 3.5mm cable from the speakers into the switch?

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
ok...

i0Nic said:
Thanks for your help, however I'm having a hard time trying to imagine how it will work (AV illiterate).

Since the 360 has the RCA output and the speakers have 3.5mm input, not sure how that setup will work?

Edit: Ok, using your description I've figured out how to connect it to the 360, thanks! The thing is, how do I *also* connect it to the laptop? Do I plug the 3.5mm cable from the speakers into the switch?

how I'd do it is this:
connect the 360 to the switch

connect the audio out from the laptop to the switch (you'd need a male 3.5mm/RCA adapter for this...RadioShack has them)

connect the RCA outs on the switch to your RCA/3.5mm female adapter

plug the HK's into the adapter

I think this should work. I hope it's not too confusing...my head's kinda spinning right now. I know it's a bit of an investment, but I've got a 4-way A/V switch that I use for my XBox, DVD, VCR, etc. and it's really quite handy, once you get used to it.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
beatsme said:
how I'd do it is this:
connect the 360 to the switch

connect the audio out from the laptop to the switch (you'd need a male 3.5mm/RCA adapter for this...RadioShack has them)

connect the RCA outs on the switch to your RCA/3.5mm female adapter

plug the HK's into the adapter

I think this should work. I hope it's not too confusing...my head's kinda spinning right now. I know it's a bit of an investment, but I've got a 4-way A/V switch that I use for my XBox, DVD, VCR, etc. and it's really quite handy, once you get used to it.
Great! Finally I've got my head around it, thanks a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.