Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
So yesterday I got a Harmony 520 and I set it up using the PC Media Center Apple TV preset. It works except for 3 things and I'm wondering if you guys can help me out a little bit.

1. It's slow, I can't scroll through my stuff as fluidly as my Apple TV remote. It's kind of a pain because sometimes I'll click twice and it will only move once. I tried setting the delay to 100ms and that didn't help. Any ideas?

2. The Apple TV will not turn off when I switch to another Activity. If I turn it off manually (hold down play) and then switch to different Activity, it will turn back on automatically.

3. How do I set it so it doesn't send a play event when I switch to the Apple TV. Every time I switch to Apple TV it starts to play something or clicks to another menu.

Please help because I've been spending so much time trying to get this to work. (Oh and I tried adding the device as an "Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo" and that didn't work at all... I'm not sure what was wrong.

I hope it's not a limitation of the remote. The Apple TV remote is a lot faster (and it used to seem sluggish to me until I used the Harmony Remote).

mdburke

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2008
I have the following set as my delays with no problems:

Power On Delay: 100ms
Inter-Key Delay: 0ms
Inter-Device Delay: 0ms

As for the AppleTV staying on when you switch activities, mine does the same thing. If I just end the activity rather than switch to another, it turns it off.

I think what I'll end up doing is adding a custom command to the AppleTV device page to turn it off. That way when I switch activities, I can just turn it off using that.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I have the following set as my delays with no problems:

Power On Delay: 100ms
Inter-Key Delay: 0ms
Inter-Device Delay: 0ms

As for the AppleTV staying on when you switch activities, mine does the same thing. If I just end the activity rather than switch to another, it turns it off.

I think what I'll end up doing is adding a custom command to the AppleTV device page to turn it off. That way when I switch activities, I can just turn it off using that.

I've tried those settings but, it seems like it doesn't take all of my clicks. Some of them are ignored.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
So yesterday I got a Harmony 520 and I set it up using the PC Media Center Apple TV preset. It works except for 3 things and I'm wondering if you guys can help me out a little bit.

1. It's slow, I can't scroll through my stuff as fluidly as my Apple TV remote. It's kind of a pain because sometimes I'll click twice and it will only move once. I tried setting the delay to 100ms and that didn't help. Any ideas?

2. The Apple TV will not turn off when I switch to another Activity. If I turn it off manually (hold down play) and then switch to different Activity, it will turn back on automatically.

3. How do I set it so it doesn't send a play event when I switch to the Apple TV. Every time I switch to Apple TV it starts to play something or clicks to another menu.

Please help because I've been spending so much time trying to get this to work. (Oh and I tried adding the device as an "Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo" and that didn't work at all... I'm not sure what was wrong.

I hope it's not a limitation of the remote. The Apple TV remote is a lot faster (and it used to seem sluggish to me until I used the Harmony Remote).

I have 3 Harmony remotes and 2 of them are set with delays. Anyway, if I speak with a knowledgeable person at Logitech (call during normal business hours to avoid getting the foreign country reps that know little) they solve any problems I encounter. In fact they are the ones that set my delays to an appropriate length.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I have 3 Harmony remotes and 2 of them are set with delays. Anyway, if I speak with a knowledgeable person at Logitech (call during normal business hours to avoid getting the foreign country reps that know little) they solve any problems I encounter. In fact they are the ones that set my delays to an appropriate length.

I returned it today... hehe. I just didn't like how slow it performed compared to the factory remotes. I figured, how hard is it to pick up the appropriate remote for what you wanna do? If I wanna watch TV, I just pick up the TV remote and that's it. If I wanna watch Apple TV, I switch my TV input and pick up the ATV remote... pretty simple actually. Plus, I'm so used to the feel and layouts of my different remotes that using 1 to do everything just didn't feel right.

I know, I'm weird... I'm still trying to get over that.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I returned it today... hehe. I just didn't like how slow it performed compared to the factory remotes. I figured, how hard is it to pick up the appropriate remote for what you wanna do? If I wanna watch TV, I just pick up the TV remote and that's it. If I wanna watch Apple TV, I switch my TV input and pick up the ATV remote... pretty simple actually. Plus, I'm so used to the feel and layouts of my different remotes that using 1 to do everything just didn't feel right.

I know, I'm weird... I'm still trying to get over that.

Not weird at all . . . it just didn't work out for you so returning it makes sense :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.