Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShapeOfPunk2Come

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2021
I was using an AOC (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMKOVMO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) as a 2nd screen with my 2017 MBA but that stopped working after I upgraded to Catalina.

I've really been missing the productivity that a 2nd screen gave me and having one that is portable is mandatory since I will be traveling a lot this year.

Do the new M1 macbooks work with a second portable USB monitor? I am thinking of upgrading but wanted to ask before I purchase.

Thanks!

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I've used my 11" iPad Pro as an external monitor with my M1 MacBook Air. Does that count?

If the USB monitor doesn't need a kext driver it should work. Check the software compatibility.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
I was using an AOC (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMKOVMO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) as a 2nd screen with my 2017 MBA but that stopped working after I upgraded to Catalina.

I've really been missing the productivity that a 2nd screen gave me and having one that is portable is mandatory since I will be traveling a lot this year.

Do the new M1 macbooks work with a second portable USB monitor? I am thinking of upgrading but wanted to ask before I purchase.

Thanks!
Yes. I tried it, its working without issues. Keep in mind you may need a hub providing interfaces, in my instance HDMI + USB, the latter to power the display

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Can you use Sidecar on an iPad pro and a external at the same time?
Sidecar doesn’t use up your one external monitor on a M1 MacBook limit (1+HDMI on a mini). It uses either USB or WiFi to connect. I frequently use a monitor and an iPad Pro with sidecar with my M1 MBA in clamshell mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.