Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
In recent days, since the iPhone came out, a lot of mods have come out for it allowing you to do almost anything without having to wait for apple to come out with ringtones, or themes, or what not. However, I was wondering what your guys opinions were concerning the following disclaimer concerning the hacks:

There are some things you should know before you perform anything on this site. There is obviously some risk involved here, but everyone I know of has been able to restore their iPhone by using iTunes. I've heard no report of anyone damaging their iPhone by modding it.
This site is not for those uncomfortable around computers, and especially the command line or Terminal. If you aren't sure about something on here, then I recommend stopping what you are doing and hooking up your iPhone to iTunes and signing up for a contract with AT&T.
You risk voiding your warranty.
Read the instructions in their entirety. Do not read into the instructions, follow only what is there. If you can't follow directions, you may may damage your phone requiring a replacement from Apple.
I am not responsible for your results if they are less than what you expected. You assume all risks. I recommend seeking help in iPhone hacking forums or in the irc room. Check my links page to find them.
You will lose the ability to use your YouTube desktop icon following the instructions on this site. This ability may be restored by the hacker community, or if you should decide to restore your phone via iTunes and sign up for a service contract with AT&T.
You will not have visual voicemail or EDGE access unless there is another iPhone that is properly activated via AT&T in your family plan. There is no work around and most likely there never will be one.
I have noticed Yahoo mail does not work with the iPhone in a modded state. This may apply to all other mail access like Gmail .mac, AOL et cetera.
It is unknown what, if any, effect future updates to iTunes or iPhone software and firmware will have on the modifications we are able to do.

I took this right off of one of the websites. I am all for the idea of being able to mod and whatnot, I just wanna see what your opinions are concerning the details of this disclaimer.

My other question is: If I did these mods then decided that I did not want because of the warranty void, could I restore my iPhone and it be back to normal and be able to save the warranty I have jeopardized by modding it?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I took this right off of one of the websites. I am all for the idea of being able to mod and whatnot, I just wanna see what your opinions are concerning the details of this disclaimer.

My other question is: If I did these mods then decided that I did not want because of the warranty void, could I restore my iPhone and it be back to normal and be able to save the warranty I have jeopardized by modding it?

It sounds like you want to be able to take risks without bearing any responsibility. You already knew everything in that disclaimer before you even went to that site. All of the rest of us do, also. You're getting these mods straight from the haXX0rz mouth. What do you expect? She or he did it ten minutes ago and didn't destroy her iPhone, and you try it now. Will it destroy your iPhone? Who knows? It's a closed ecosystem, and you're hacking it. So far, the hacks generally are supposed to allow you to get back to the factory default image. But will someone break their iPhone and then get refused help by Apple because they hacked it? If it hasn't happened already, it's likely that it will. Will it be you? How would I know?

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
I think the fear here is that you will do harm to it in a way a restore cannot fix, or in a way that will not allow a restore to take place, thus voiding your warranty. He says he has not seen this happen, and thus, everyone was able to get their iPhone back into its original, factory settings state, but that doesn't mean it will happen every time, and the risk of that happening (or not happening, as the case may be) is your alone.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
yeah i agree with you guys, i know it is the responsibility of the owner, so ultimately, its the owners fault for anything that doesnt go well. I guess i will just wait for the ringtones update to iTunes to come rolling in, seems like the safe way to go. Thanks for the responses by the way. I really wanna hear one from someone who has not and will not hack there iPhone (assuming those who have responded have hacked)

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
I have modded my iPhone with custom icons and ringtones. If I need any warranty work, I'll just do a restore, and viola, it's back to normal, so I'm not worried about that part. The part in the disclaimer about EDGE, visual voicemail, and youtube not working if you do the mods is kind of confusing. That only applies if you do the hack for bypassing activation.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
I put custom ringtones, icons, battery icons, carrier logo, and a few other things. I did not by pass anything. My phone is activated through at&t. I was thinking if apple will be able to see how many times we restored our iphones. I know in the process of modding my iphone i must have restarted my phone about 10 times. So i dont know hopefully if i have to ever send my phone back to apple they cant see this info and i wont get any hassles. Also I have not had any problems with restoring my phone when I made a mistake during the moding process. I was planning on not moding my phone but could not wait lomg enough for apples update for ringtones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.