Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACE_350

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
I get the pro models are all the hype, and are definitely superior, so no dispute over that. But I hear a lot of people say that the 14 isn’t even worth buying because “it’s the same as the 13”. It may look like that from a first glance. But as I’ve started to look into it more, the 14 actually did receive some underrated enhancements over the 13, enough so that I would recommend spending the extra $100 for it.

The big notable things being:

- Extra 2GB RAM

- Upgraded camera module, the 14 essentially uses the 13 Pro’s camera as opposed to the 12 Pro Max from the 13 series

- Upgraded Qualcomm X65 modem. This is even superior to the 13 Pro’s modems which use the X60

- The regular 14’s now have heat shields installed in the phone, which aids in better performance and prolongs battery health

- After some iOS 16 updates, I’m also noticing the standard 14 is starting to pull slightly ahead in battery life tests over the 13 series and even 14 Pro

- Crash detection .. life is unpredictable and tragedy can strike any of us at any time. This is one more potential life saving tool that could come in handy if anyone were to encounter this situation

Granted, I think the 13 is still a great bargain now, but given these enhancements, I would still pay the extra $100 to consider the 14. Of course, if you already have a 13 or even a 12, I wouldn’t consider it. But, if you’re using an 11 series or under, I would definitely pick the 14 over the 13.

Some people do make the argument that the 13 Pro is a superior device to the regular 14, I guess it depends on which features you value the most. Keep in mind that:

The standard 14 is considerably lighter than the Pro models, and still have an upgraded X65 modem over the X60, and in most real world cases, does have a bit better battery life.

The 13 Pro has the 120hz screen and telephoto camera, which some people may prefer.

Just my 2 cents. Definitely not saying one is better than the other. I think it depends on what the individual gets the most out of it, but when you really lay out the improvements beyond a face value glance, it starts to make more sense. Maybe it still doesn’t feel like quite an “S” model upgrade, but still solid all around.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
The pros are ugly. I don’t like the camera bump on the rear and I suffer from Trypophobia. For me, having a better looking, sleeker phone (that is also lighter) is more important than a slightly better camera. It is annoying yes that more and more features seem to be exclusive to the Pro. I wouldn’t mind paying the Pro price but for the standard iPhone design with the extra features. I didn’t upgrade to the 14, I thought about it but there were limited upgrades over the 13 I already have (if coming from an older phone though it clearly makes much more sense to go to a 14 rather than 13). I will certainly upgrade to the 6.1 non pro 15 though

I hope one day apple can redesign the cameras on the Pro to make them less unsightly, then I would definitely go Pro

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Probably wrong place to ask - many of the frequent flyers on here tend to be tech enthusiasts who go for the Pro. I suspect the 14 will still sell well among normal folks over time, but it doesn't tend to see the initial demand upon release that the Pros do.

Another nice upgrade with the 14s that isn't mentioned much is that Apple changed the interior design so that the back glass panel can be easily (and cheaply) replaced.

That said, when the contract was up on my 12 this fall, I ended up just getting a 13 as I thought it would be more than enough phone for me for a couple years (and because it comes in green, while the 14 is only available in bleh colors).

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
I purchased the regular 14. I have no desire for the dynamic island, think it's an unnecessary gimmick, and as a pro photographer, I have yet to see ANY camera in ANY cell phone that is even remotely acceptable to me. So I certainly don't need the camera upgrade. The only two reasons I went to the 14 instead of keeping the 12 is because of better battery life in the 14 and the carrier aggregation advantages it has. Hopefully I'll live long enough to see that implemented at some point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.