Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melsbacksfriend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2023
We all know that Apple is very anti-consumer and serializes device parts (Seriously? did they have to do it to the NAND flash). And we know about how the SEP prevents any kind of software from getting around any of that. But has anyone tried making a modchip to do it? (those coming from game console modding like me will know what a modchip is). It could be some kind of SoC glitching that it does to do it or something. In case you're wondering, yes I have experience with hacking extremely proprietary ARM processors as the game console that I've modded is the Nintendo Switch, which has a Nvidia SoC. I'd be happy to help with a Mac modchip if anyone wants to join?

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
We all know that Apple is very anti-consumer and serializes device parts (Seriously? did they have to do it to the NAND flash). And we know about how the SEP prevents any kind of software from getting around any of that. But has anyone tried making a modchip to do it? (those coming from game console modding like me will know what a modchip is). It could be some kind of SoC glitching that it does to do it or something. In case you're wondering, yes I have experience with hacking extremely proprietary ARM processors as the game console that I've modded is the Nintendo Switch, which has a Nvidia SoC. I'd be happy to help with a Mac modchip if anyone wants to join?
The SEP wouldn’t be defeated that way, but you can learn more about reverse engineering Apple Silicon from the folks at The Apple Wiki (check out their discord) and Asahi Linux (GitHub wiki has a lot of info), among others.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Not totally on topic, but isn't one good outcome of serialized parts that it makes stealing iPhones not as (easily) rewarding? I’m sure it wasn’t Apple’s only motivation, but I’ve heard that since Activation Lock, most of the remaining iPhone thefts are motivated by selling off parts. Doesn’t this discourage that?

thenewperson

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Not totally on topic, but isn't one good outcome of serialized parts that it makes stealing iPhones not as (easily) rewarding? I’m sure it wasn’t Apple’s only motivation, but I’ve heard that since Activation Lock, most of the remaining iPhone thefts are motivated by selling off parts. Doesn’t this discourage that?
It does discourage it, but I guess that’s anti-consumer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.