Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShockerMan4x4

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I'm having trouble getting my exchange account working. To my knowledge, we have IMAP enabled on the server.

Everything should be entered correctly into settings and it doesn't work. I just want to know if anyone has gotten it working yet. Then I'll do my own digging.

ShockerMan4x4

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I have via imap. If that helps. I had no issues doing this Friday night.

How exactly did you enter in your information? If you don't mind me asking.

To my knowledge, doesn't IMAP work something like Outlook Anywhere?

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Well, I asked our admin to enable IMAP last week and then I tested it with mail.app from my MBP to be sure it worked. Have you tried that?

And then when I got the phone, I just entered my normal username and password and then the server names. Nothing special, really. I just followed the screen you get when you select "other" from the mail setup screen.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
From your computer, from a shell/terminal, you could try:

telnet <servername> 143

just to make exchange is listening for IMAP connections on the standard port. On our exchange server, it will respond with something like:

* OK Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 IMAP4rev1 server version 6.5.7638.1 (mse3fe2.mse3.exchange.ms) ready.

ShockerMan4x4

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I'm trying the telnet thing now.

I'm on a Vista machine.

I work for our IT department and I'm fairly sure its enabled, I'm not sure why it wont connect.

marc7654

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Indiana
IMAP/Exchange

The IMAP address for your exchange server is probably something different than what you use for your Exchange settings for Entourage or Outlook. Instead of exchange.example.com try imap.exchange.example.com.

You may also need to enable SSL for incoming and outgoing mail. It's in the advanced settings on your iPhone mail setup.

Your Exchange admins should be able to tell you how to do IMAP to Exchange. If they complain about security ask about SSL. If that's on then there are very few, if any, network security issues.

ShockerMan4x4

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
The IMAP address for your exchange server is probably something different than what you use for your Exchange settings for Entourage or Outlook. Instead of exchange.example.com try imap.exchange.example.com.

You may also need to enable SSL for incoming and outgoing mail. It's in the advanced settings on your iPhone mail setup.

Your Exchange admins should be able to tell you how to do IMAP to Exchange. If they complain about security ask about SSL. If that's on then there are very few, if any, network security issues.

Yeah, I understand.

I'll have to wait till I get back to my school to ask what the correct server address is. For Outlook Anywhere, the address is xmail.clemson.edu (this is also the link for the OWA client). I don't know of any other server addresses that our exchange offers, so I don't know about the imap.xmail.clemson.edu.

It's funny, we have knowledgebases explainging how to set up imap on things like Thunderbird, but since we just went live last week it says things like "enter the server: " and is just blank.

Oh well, thanks for everyone's help!

SiLeNtKiLLa

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Nevermind, I got it working!

Does yours give you an true "Push Email" expierence? If so, what settings did you use to setup your acct.

Mines only pull in emails when I open mail client on iphone, not just pull them in.

Using McFT Exchange Server 2007

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.