Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Getting closer to buying a touch since it seems more practical than an ipad that is just too bulky.Wondered if anyone used up their battery yet and how long it took to do this?Did you send it in to apple or is their an alternative?
thanks

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
With 122 views and no replies I guess thats a good sign that the ipod touch battery lasts through a lot of recharges.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
With my iTouch, which I bought in Sept 2009, no, no problems at all [touches wood, crosses fingers, etc].
However, it is a good question, for I have had quite a few Classic iPods where the battery died (and, as they were under warranty, the standard offer of repair, refund, or replacement was made); at least three, now that I come to think of it.....

Cheers

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
So you sent it in to Apple to replace battery?Could you reveal the cost?

Unpleasant

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I have a 2nd gen iPod Touch, It's still going strong with battery. I could have it playing music for over 12 hours. So thats a good sign.

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
I purchased my 4th gen iPod touch in December 2010. I use it daily and battery life is fine.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So you sent it in to Apple to replace battery?Could you reveal the cost?

Bear in mind that this has only happened with the Classic, not the Touch. Anyway, as it was still under warranty (and I always, always, keep the sales receipt for such contingencies) Apple took care of it.

Twice I received a replacement iPod - this was back in 2006 and the iPod in each case was a 30GB Classic; a small, but significant percentage of them seem to have some sort of issue regarding battery life - one of mine lasted barely six weeks. All of my iPods that expired and were replaced were Classics, and were still under warranty at the time they - or their batteries - died. Actually, this excellent service, and that fact that Apple immediately honoured warranties without seeking refuge in contractual small-print, were one of the main reasons that I "switched" to Apple computers in 2008.

Later, in 2008, I got a 80GB Classic which still works perfectly well. To add to it, in summer 2009, I bought a 120GB and that, astonishingly, died after a few months. When I was next home on leave - I was working in the Caucasus at the time - I brought it back to where I had purchased it complete with sales receipt. On the spot I was offered a refund or a replacement; it wasn't considered possible to repair it. I opted for a replacement, but the store didn't have any 120GB Classics in stock, and were not expecting a consignment for a further week. As I was due to fly back to the Caucasus the following day, I asked about the Touch. There was a price difference between the cost of the Classic and that of the 64GB Touch which I was happy to pay. Prior to that, I had considered the iTouch to be a triumph of marketing and "hype" and had been more than happy with the Classic as I only wished to have my entire music collection with me. However, I have to say that it is a superb iPod and I have been very impressed with it.

In essence, I think that the SSD battery of the Touch (and Nano) is a lot more stable and durable than the old HD style battery of the iPod Classic and indeed, the older computers.

These days, I have a MBA (I used to have a MBP) and also, have been very impressed with it, to the extent that it has become my sole computer.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Cheers

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Thanks for your extensive reply.Seems the 4g touch has excellent battery longevity

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, it does, the battery is excellent, in the sense that one charge lasts a really long time (I've been pretty impressed; I had assumed that nothing could beat the excellent battery on the late Classic iPods, such as the 80GB); indeed, the iTouch will easily play over 20-30 hours of continuous music without needing a recharge.

It is also excellent in that, as your thread seems to bear out, thus far, nobody has suffered a battery failure with the iTouch, or has reported such. The same situation seems to apply with Apple's line-up of computers; there have been battery failures with the old HD on MBs, and MBPs, but not many have been reported on the SSD powered computers.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.