Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomRazer

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
so, i didnt think they made them that big,....but there floating around on ebay. a tempered glass screen protector, just like ones for the iphone, are available for the macbook pro.

its gonna be like 20 plus dollars so i was wondering if anyone here has tried them for there macbook?

my concerns:

-will they take off the anti glare coating on the screen (like staingate from the previous gen)
-will the thickness be to great that it can rub against the keyboard
-is it even a smart idea lol

i cant find any reviews on them on youtube or even google. there sold only on ebay i can see. they aint from china surprisingly, from europe

i have a moshi ivisor on my macbook pro 2016 currently, but it does adda . subtle static effect cause its well anti glare.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I would say the following:-

- Probably a good chance. Pretty sure someone else mentioned having this problem when removing.
- Yes, as even Radtech had to redesign their keyboard cover to ensure the MBP closes properly.
- Probably not as you won't be exactly drawing on the thing.

Reactions: steve62388

Queen6

macrumors G4
Why would you even consider one, given the MBP is not a "touch" device, I don't even use one on my Surface Book, and who knows the effect on Apple's antiglare coating over time. Use your Mac as intended you will enjoy is all the more.

tl:dr Best avoided, especially given the new MBP's engineering tolerances.

Q-6

Reactions: Sanpete

RandomRazer

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Why would you even consider one, given the MBP is not a "touch" device, I don't even use one on my Surface Book, and who knows the effect on Apple's antiglare coating over time. Use your Mac as intended you will enjoy is all the more.

tl:dr Best avoided, especially given the new MBP's engineering tolerances.

Q-6
what do u think of a palmgaurd?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

I would say pretty pointless too unless you wear a watch, a buckle or metal strap could scratch it. There may be some mileage that some people don't like the sharpness of the edge against their wrist, but as far as I know the guards don't address that issue and you shouldn't be typing like that anyway (your wrists should be in a higher position to avoid strain).

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Since the MacBook doesn't have a touch screen I think a screen protector is pretty is pretty pointless.

doom102938

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
I've just installed the BestSkinsEver matte skin complete coverage on my ntMBP. It is awesome and appears to be able almost invisible as it matches the anodizing that the macbook came with. I find the wrist rest and the trackpad skin to offer fantastic protection. I have sweaty hands, as such, the skin will Help me keep the macbook in pristine condition.

One thing to note about the tempered glass screen protector is that it adds thickness to the screen and may prevent proper closing of the screen. Secondly, the tempered glass screen protector does not have an anti glare coating, just imagine the pre-original rMBP screen. Third, the screen of the macbook has a small lip to prevent the screen from resting directly on the palm rest and the keyboard, that may prevent you from removing the tempered glass protector safely.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
In my opinion based only on brief usage, they will likely make some contact with the keyboard, extremely thick ones could modify the computer's geometry & place excessive stress on the hinges and/or keys, and I've always been curious how they may impact cooling if used in clamshell mode (and if the high heat could impact the adhesive itself.) Some can also distort how the screen looks, giving certain colors a weird look and make reading smaller text quite difficult.

They have the potential to damage the delicate AR coating, but it would depend on the adhesive being used (and possibly the removal procedure as well). Due to the heavier weight than a plastic screen, a different (and potentially stronger) adhesive agent might have to be used. As many of these products appear to be mass-produced and shipped directly from overseas in areas where the standard of living isn't very good, I somewhat doubt that the people making them have safety in the front of their mind. The AR coating on my Breitling can be easily damaged by many common adhesives, and, like with my Breitling, I only use a cleaning product that does not contain anything that could accelerate the wearing of the coating.

So, in my opinion, there are much more potential significant risks than there are potential minor benefits.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Same have never used one, might be advantageous in some conditions. All my MBP's the surface finish has stood up very well over the years, equally I would be more cautious of the newer models that offer differing colouration to the default silver, as surface coatings can and do fail.

I work & travel globally, generally with two notebooks, sometimes in the office, frequently in the field. I look to take care of my hardware, equally I don't baby it or go much beyond a decent padded sleeve.

Q-6

RandomRazer

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
I've just installed the BestSkinsEver matte skin complete coverage on my ntMBP. It is awesome and appears to be able almost invisible as it matches the anodizing that the macbook came with. I find the wrist rest and the trackpad skin to offer fantastic protection. I have sweaty hands, as such, the skin will Help me keep the macbook in pristine condition.

One thing to note about the tempered glass screen protector is that it adds thickness to the screen and may prevent proper closing of the screen. Secondly, the tempered glass screen protector does not have an anti glare coating, just imagine the pre-original rMBP screen. Third, the screen of the macbook has a small lip to prevent the screen from resting directly on the palm rest and the keyboard, that may prevent you from removing the tempered glass protector safely.

i wanted to get the bestskinsever skin for the palm area atleast, as i use a moshi iglaze case for the computer for the outside. but by the looks of the pics, the palm rest area is from bestskinsever is made of 2 big pieces rather then a precision cut piece? am i right?

In my opinion based only on brief usage, they will likely make some contact with the keyboard, extremely thick ones could modify the computer's geometry & place excessive stress on the hinges and/or keys, and I've always been curious how they may impact cooling if used in clamshell mode (and if the high heat could impact the adhesive itself.) Some can also distort how the screen looks, giving certain colors a weird look and make reading smaller text quite difficult.

They have the potential to damage the delicate AR coating, but it would depend on the adhesive being used (and possibly the removal procedure as well). Due to the heavier weight than a plastic screen, a different (and potentially stronger) adhesive agent might have to be used. As many of these products appear to be mass-produced and shipped directly from overseas in areas where the standard of living isn't very good, I somewhat doubt that the people making them have safety in the front of their mind. The AR coating on my Breitling can be easily damaged by many common adhesives, and, like with my Breitling, I only use a cleaning product that does not contain anything that could accelerate the wearing of the coating.

So, in my opinion, there are much more potential significant risks than there are potential minor benefits.

what about the moshi ivisor?

doom102938

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
i wanted to get the bestskinsever skin for the palm area atleast, as i use a moshi iglaze case for the computer for the outside. but by the looks of the pics, the palm rest area is from bestskinsever is made of 2 big pieces rather then a precision cut piece? am i right?
Yes, it is 2 pieces, however, they are cut very precisely.

You can see a sample of the two pieces at around 1min 43 seconds into this video.

This is a review of the complete protection installed on the tMBP 15 for your reference.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
what about the moshi ivisor?

I do not have experience with it, but I've had very good experiences with the other Moshi products I own and have used. They strike me as a company that, when designing a product, will give plenty of consideration to the long-term implications.

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
I've always been of the opinion that it is better to accumulate a few scratches on a screen over time then to have to deal with an ugly screen protector (that in this case could potentially mess with the AR coating (though I've had my rMBP for nearly 2 years now and cleaned it more times then I can count, and my screen still looks new so I suspect not all rMBP are affected by "staingate")).

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
A laptop's screen doesn't need the same protections as a phone's does, so why cover your laptop's glass with inferior glass? It would serve no purpose.

qcode

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
Why have a screen protector? HERE's WHY:

Sorry to necro this thread, but I came here by way of trying find a solution to clean a persistent "smear" off of my retina display... turns out it's it's not a smear, but damage to the screen itself. :/

Here's some other folk's pics on apple's forums: My Retina Display has stain damage, HELP!!!

I have a mid 2015 15-inch pro, so and it turns out, that even with diligent cleaning, micro dust or any kind of debris will slowly act as sandpaper against your screen while your laptop is in clamshell during transport.

I guess looking back, I would recommend three things:

1) Try using a screen protector. This type of damage is essentially irreparable. Even if the screen protector gets sandpapered over time, at least it's replaceable!

2) Get ahold a good and tight fitting slip sleeve type cover for while you're out and about... as snug as you can to reduce the screen wiggling from side to side or up and down against the main chassis. (It's not prone to wiggle much by itself, but "swaddling" with a tight carry sleeve should help at least a little...)

3) don't pack your carry bag to tightly with anything

4) make sure the stuff you do pack in your bag with your laptop won't slightly and temporarily press into and bend the squishy centers of the laptop's lid down into the chassis and flushed island keys.

Last edited:

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Why does it even exist? It's already got glass fitted from the factory, it's not a touch device, or vulnerable to screen damage from face down drops.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
On the 2012-2015 MBP I have heard removing the screen protector has removed the anti-glare coating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.