Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I have both, it really depends on the use case. Nothing really beats the iPad as a tablet but if you want something that portable and it needs to do more such as installing proper software that can't be done on the iPad then the Surface is a good option.

Windows 11 is fine, not had any real issues with it. Battery life is still lacking on the Surface, better than it was but room for improvement, I can get 8 hours on it, just. With the 13 inch screen and the excellent surface keyboard, it really is a good device.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Surface Pro is a Windows laptop that converts into a tablet. I never use my Pro 7 for tablet consumption; I guess I could but instead i reach for my ipad. However, if i want to get real work done, I reach for the Surface. I got a new iPad Pro 11 at Christmas and purchased Magic Keyboard as well, thinking i would give iPad another chance at productivity, but after one attempt at word processing/creating spreadsheets, I reached again for my Surface that runs full versions of Excel, Powerpoint and Word as well as accounting software. I like its keyboard better as well. Don’t want to waste time trying to use workarounds to get work done. But yes, i love ipad for media consumption and web scrolling. Of course you can also do those things on a phablet and i prefer Kindle Oasis for reading. If affordability was an issue for me, ipad is my most redundant device. It was a more important device for me back when phones had tiny screens.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Surface Pro is a Windows laptop that converts into a tablet. I never use my Pro 7 for tablet consumption; I guess I could but instead i reach for my ipad. However, if i want to get real work done, I reach for the Surface. I got a new iPad Pro 11 at Christmas and purchased Magic Keyboard as well, thinking i would give iPad another chance at productivity, but after one attempt at word processing/creating spreadsheets, I reached again for my Surface that runs full versions of Excel, Powerpoint and Word as well as accounting software. I like its keyboard better as well. Don’t want to waste time trying to use workarounds to get work done. But yes, i love ipad for media consumption and web scrolling. Of course you can also do those things on a phablet and i prefer Kindle Oasis for reading. If affordability was an issue for me, ipad is my most redundant device. It was a more important device for me back when phones had tiny screens.

I have a 2021 12.9 iPP, Mini 6, and i7 16GB Surface Pro 7. The SP7 is where I work when producing, the 12.9 is for consumption at home, and the Mini 6 for when out and about. The SP7 is generally tied to a 24" 4K monitor, my preferred configuration for getting things done - writing emails & docs, spreadsheets, photo & video processing, and even most web browsing. I find the large screen, full size BT keyboard and mouse to be the best tools for me to work productively. I really like the 12.9 for video streaming, be it on-line services or my large collection of ripped DVDs. The display is outstanding. Travelling, I'll take all three devices. I've never felt the need nor the desire to switch to usage of a single device.

Reactions: Cape Dave and max2

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Thank you all looks like having a iPad and Microsoft Surface is even better! Still not convined on the Surface though used as a tablet though.

If people just use the Surface as a laptop instead why not just get a Surface Book 4 instead ?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thank you all looks like having a iPad and Microsoft Surface is even better! Still not convined on the Surface though used as a tablet though.

If people just use the Surface as a laptop instead why not just get a Surface Book 4 instead ?

While I mainly use my SP7 as a laptop, I like the flexibility of being able to use it as a tablet at times. But you're right - if you never use it as a tablet, then a laptop configuration is a better choice.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
While I mainly use my SP7 as a laptop, I like the flexibility of being able to use it as a tablet at times. But you're right - if you never use it as a tablet, then a laptop configuration is a better choice.
How is Windows 11 for tablet function so far?

Is it any good?

Is it getting better?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
How is Windows 11 for tablet function so far?

Is it any good?

Is it getting better?

I think it's fine and an improvement over 10 on the tablet side. I jumped on Beta versions and am now on the standard path. I haven't had any issues with it - it's been solid on my SP7 (and older Dell desktop for that matter).

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I think it's fine and an improvement over 10 on the tablet side. I jumped on Beta versions and am now on the standard path. I haven't had any issues with it - it's been solid on my SP7 (and older Dell desktop for that matter).

Anyway I can see all the programs or apps that are touch friendly before trying to use a Surface device or buying one to make sure it is for me ? That and they are enough of them that will work for me.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Also do you recommend 128 GB or 256 GB minimum ? Does it depend on how many apps or program you are going to decide to install instead ?

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX

I always tended to use my Surface Pro as a laptop with the occasional use of the touch screen to swipe through photos. After buying my Dell XPS 15 laptop with a touch screen I haven't even turned on the Surface. The iPad Pro fills all my table use cases. I have a Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra on order. I'm anxious to see how that device might bridge the gap between tablet and laptop

Reactions: max2

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Also do you recommend 128 GB or 256 GB minimum ? Does it depend on how many apps or program you are going to decide to install instead ?

I went with 256GB and also use a 512GB uSD card in the slot for storing static/little-changing data.

As for a list of touch-friendly apps, I'm not aware of any such lists.

Reactions: koigirl

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I went with 256GB and also use a 512GB uSD card in the slot for storing static/little-changing data.

As for a list of touch-friendly apps, I'm not aware of any such lists.

Thanks I will find one.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Storage is user upgradable on SP7+ and SP8 so RAM decision is more important. Don't like wasting time constantly updating apps to access web sites that a single universal full desktop browser can do so for me SP gets used more while iPP M1 collects dust.

Reactions: ozaz and sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Storage is user upgradable on SP7+ and SP8 so RAM decision is more important. Don't like wasting time constantly updating apps to access web sites that a single universal full desktop browser can do so for me SP gets used more while iPP M1 collects dust.

The upgradable storage is a big plus for the new models. And I agree on the RAM - I need at least 16GB for Lightroom to work well with the large imagery I have without having to close everything else out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.